Puck Screen Branding (BPlus, Flair, Shades of Coffee) - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
cuongdinh

#11: Post by cuongdinh »

Dennis, any updates on the Etsy puck screen? Thanks

klee11mtl

#12: Post by klee11mtl »

Ordered this one from Etsy in October and it took 4 weeks to arrive in the US. I bought the 1mm/150micron version. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1078161104 ... offee-puck. I also ordered the Normcore from Amazon which was 1.7mm.

The Normcore definitely feels sturdier (not sure how much of that is build quality vs simple thickness) and is the one I use unless I have a darker bean in my basket and the grinds leave little headroom. The Etsy one has rough edges; it's not enough to unexpectedly cut you but there's room for improvement there. I've probably pulled 30 or so shots with it and no signs of damage or warping. Neither change the extraction experience much nor do they produce any metallic taste. I don't feel I'm getting any better coffee but I like the cleaner shower screen.

TigerStripes

#13: Post by TigerStripes »

I bought the 2mm 150um version off aliexpress for like $4 delivered to my door. It took a month to arrive but it fits perfectly in a vst basket and looks just like the bplus screen. Bplus must be making a killing on those screens.
LMWDP #715

zan

#14: Post by zan »

[quote="MNate"

I would like to thank you very much for share this information, it has been very useful for me.
Now I use a screen of 1'7 m/m, 50 um without shower screen and without head space.

Another link with "customized size" and several layers: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1067222786 ... rs=1&bes=1

Many thanks, Regards

DamianWarS

#15: Post by DamianWarS »

Scheissami wrote:Gang,

Anyone compared these? My understanding from searching online and here is that the Flair is definitely a re-branded BPlus screen, though also with some manufacturing variance early in production.

I've also read that the BPlus screens themselves aren't manufactured by them and are not significantly different from the screens found on Aliexpress and elsewhere. From what I've read they are multilayer metal mesh (stainless, 316) 1.7mm thick, with both 50 and 150 micron layers.

I live in the US.
Buying direct from BPlus: screen in $33 with $30 shipping = $63
BPlus on Amazon: $53
Flair: $35 + $5 shipping: $40
Shades of Coffee: $21 + $7 shipping = $27
(can buy 3 screens for $58 + $9 shipping = $67 or $22 each)
Etsy: $20 each + $7 shipping = $27

Just trying to find the most economical way to get one or a few of these screens. If there's no difference between them then I'd just buy three for the price of one. Not trying to be super cheap, but if these are all the same and just rebranded then I don't necessarily feel particularly bad about not buying the "OG" BPlus screen. Just trying to save a few bucks after blowing up my bank account recently :P
I've just ordered the bplus and my plan is to to order a bunch of cheap ones and compare them. My hope is to find a comparable or even identical one. The technology of a sintered metal filter is nothing new and I would think bplus doesn't do the manufacturing or even stamp their logo on it. I'm not an expert on what makes one quality or not and quick searches show wide use. the material seems to be inexpensive enough to be able to get a better price one but of the same or identical quality. One thing is the thickness but who says bplus has the optimal thickness? There's too much in the bplus screen that we don't question and It's probably worth critically looking at it rather than just assuming whatever bplus has is right,. Maybe there's a more optimal spec'd one?

Brien

#16: Post by Brien »

I would be curious as well.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by JB90068 »

DamianWarS wrote:I've just ordered the bplus and my plan is to to order a bunch of cheap ones and compare them. My hope is to find a comparable or even identical one. The technology of a sintered metal filter is nothing new and I would think bplus doesn't do the manufacturing or even stamp their logo on it. I'm not an expert on what makes one quality or not and quick searches show wide use. the material seems to be inexpensive enough to be able to get a better price one but of the same or identical quality. One thing is the thickness but who says bplus has the optimal thickness? There's too much in the bplus screen that we don't question and It's probably worth critically looking at it rather than just assuming whatever bplus has is right,. Maybe there's a more optimal spec'd one?
Have the other screens arrived and have you had time to test them? Curious to get your thoughts.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

DamianWarS

#18: Post by DamianWarS replying to JB90068 »

It will be some time still. I'm visiting my home country for a bit (where I bought the bplus) and when I get back I'll start the comparison. Indonesia doesn't have the bplus screen (or at least it's hard/expensive to get) so I'm bringing back one to compare and ultimately recommend a product just as good for the Indonesian market. I'm not sure how it will translate to a north american market except saying they exist and if you're ever in Indonesia here's where you can buy it. All these products ultimately come from China so it may be possible to source it back to an Alibaba listing

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by JB90068 »

DamianWarS wrote:It will be some time still. I'm visiting my home country for a bit (where I bought the bplus) and when I get back I'll start the comparison.
Andrew - thank you for doing this. I'm sure we will all benefit from your efforts.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

cibby
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by cibby »

I'm curious to read about your results too. One question I have on the pricing variance is could there be any difference in the material used? A concern of the cheaper knock offs is the metal quality and possibility of it release some kind of material into the shots over time.

I ordered the Flair screen yesterday after reading in a post it's made by BPlus. Is that actually the case? :-/