Processing coffee cherries at home - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
TomC
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC »

Yup, that's pergamino. You'll need to hull it first.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

yakster
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by yakster »

How do they smell?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Nate42 (original poster)

#13: Post by Nate42 (original poster) replying to yakster »

Kinda like wet grass. I took a sample and microwaved it until it stopped getting lighter, and it appears to be about 26% moisture, which is too high. So first thing I did is spread it out in the lid of a storage container where I'll let it dry for a while. After that I'll figure out how to remove the parchment.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Pressino »

When the beans are dry[er] and shrink a bit, a space will develop between the bean and parchment, so it will be much easier to strip away, leaving just some silverskin on the bean that will become chaff when you roast it. BTW, that's great looking parchment. Dry carefully, as lots of bad stuff can happen if you don't...like musty mold/fungus overgrowth. :x

Nate42 (original poster)

#15: Post by Nate42 (original poster) »

Any tips on how to dry "carefully"? Right now I just have it spread out on the lid of a storage container, closed up in a spare bedroom where it's safe from the cats (who would probably think it was a litter box. gross). Outside isn't a good option right now because it's been cold and rainy lately.

Jonk

#16: Post by Jonk »

Perhaps a fan is a good idea. It's what I use to dehydrate other food, like mushrooms.

Nate42 (original poster)

#17: Post by Nate42 (original poster) replying to Jonk »

Good call, I can probably point a fan at it easily enough.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Pressino »

An important thing to care about when drying the beans will be facilitating the removal of moisture, thereby minimizing the risk of mold and fungal growth on (and into) the beans. Sunlight with good air circulation works great, but any set up that allows moisture to evaporate and get removed from the beans should work. The recommendation to use a fan is good. :)