Preforms for single dose coffee experiment

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
kc2hje

#1: Post by kc2hje »

Have been using the HG-1 for eight months now and love it the one thing that I have been fighting with however is how to store portioned coffee so as to speed up my morning ritual, and reduce the weighing out of doses to a once a week give or take event (simple fix to this add more containers) I will be going from six mini Ball jars to 30 preforms. This should get me enough to roast 500Grams of coffee to last me app nine days as I make three shots per day for the wife and I.

I have been looking at the lynweber bean cellars commercial ones but can't bring myself to spend 80+ on plastic tubes.

So my first alternative is what's known as preforms essentially 2 liter soda bottles that have not been fully expanded by design there food safe plastic and should? hold the CO2 from 18 Grams of coffee.

going to try them out for the next week or two and if they work build a wall rack so I can keep them out of the way and at a glance know when I have to roast more coffee.

Love to hear what your thoughts are or your own solution.

Chris

Nickel

#2: Post by Nickel »

I use these containers, and they work great. Will hold all the beans you will need, even at large doses. You can also RDT right in the container, put the lid back on and shake to distribute.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/kitche ... d=10031109

Iowa_Boy

#3: Post by Iowa_Boy »

I considered mini Mason jars (which are definitely a good option), but ultimately decided to try the Lyn Weber commercial bean cellars.
Not a fan of the price, but other than that I love them.
Easy to use, and seems to keep beans fresh for a couple weeks and makes dosing effortless.

myso

#4: Post by myso »

Odd enough i found out that an "unused :mrgreen: " laboratory sample bottle has the perfect size for my regular doses. I do have one for something that I end up not having to use and it holds exactly 58ml of water before overflow.
With the current coffee that I have if I fill it entirely it holds 24g. A popular dose of 20g would be 48.3ml so a 50ml exact capacity version might be also good for 18 - 20g of doses based on roast level.
You can also drill a hole on top and glue an aquarium 1-way valve (more robust than the ones on coffee bags) with a glue gun. But I found these type of bottles to be leak free (after all they are designed to hold the pee samples without making a mess in the lab :lol: )
They have the same screw cap design as cola bottles.

Also if I fill the bottle with hot water from the tap (60°C) and shake it, the air trapped inside expands, i can see the bottle slightly swollen up and it holds a small pressure.

I didn't search for them on Amazon or AliExpress or eBay but I'm sure you can find them. Or you can ask your pharmacy if they can sell you a couple dozens of airtight screw cap 45 - 60ml sample tubes/bottles/vials.
You can search for sterile lab vials, centrifuge tubes, test tubes etc. They are mostly in plastic but there are also some with glass (dark amber glass would keep the beans from light).

Here are some photos from the bottle that I have. Pink water is 50g on scale to emphasize 50ml inside the bottle. And the bottle that is not entirely full with beans is a 20g dose.

kc2hje (original poster)

#5: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

Wamp wamp... the preforms hold about 17 Grams of coffee so looks like the Lyn Webber ones are it.

kc2hje (original poster)

#6: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

Just an update,

ended up getting the commercial bean cellars and they have been outstanding 24 gets me about a pound of coffee and lets me see at a glance when I have to roast again to give the new coffee time to rest.

Chris Herbert