Preferred Shape and Size of Espresso Cup

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jffhn

#1: Post by jffhn »

Can anyone comment on their preference for shape and size of espresso cup? I have used a 3-3.5 oz. cup (somewhat squat, wider than it is tall) for many years. It gives me a good slurp and seems to open up the aroma better than, say, an Illy style demitasse. If this thread seems a little strange, just take a look at the various shapes and sizes of wine glasses available for oenophiles.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

I like the Illy style cups for singles and ristrettos. The smaller diameter seams to hold the diminutive shots crema better. For doubles I go back and forth between the Illy style and the slightly shorter but wider Sorrento cups. I do not have any of the Tulip style cups but the narrower bottom with the larger flared top my hit the sweet spot. Sounds like I need to order another couple cups.
Dave Stephens

jesawdy

#3: Post by jesawdy »

My current favorite cup, the Intelligentsia Winged 2 oz. demitasse....

The matching cappa cup is also very sweet.

I do not have any Illy cups yet, I have some Bodum Canteens (that I only use to hold something hot for awhile), some generic 3-3.5 ounce cups, similar in shape to Illy, a nice Ritzenhoff cup, and a few others.
Jeff Sawdy

timo888

#4: Post by timo888 »

I would like to find a Sorrento cup in pure white inside and out. Anyone know where they are made?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

My cups are Sorrento clones branded with Sweet Maria's and the espresso skunk. They are identical (i.e. probably made by Sorrento for them) and are white with the exception of the logo.

Sorrento White Espresso Cups

Milano espresso Cups

White Nuova Point Demitasse Espresso Cup
Dave Stephens

timo888

#6: Post by timo888 replying to cannonfodder »

Thanks! I thought Sorrento was the name SweetMaria's had given the cup. I have some cappa cups from Crate and Barrel from ten years ago, made in Poland, that are very similar to the Sorrento.

Regards
Timo

CyclingCraig

#7: Post by CyclingCraig »

Are these the ones you are talking about: Espresso Parts Cups

I JUST (box sitting next to me as I type) got delivered the Tulip version of them (Nuova Point). I got the tulip versions because the Cappa cups I could only find in Tulip and I wanted my espresso cups to match my cappa's :oops:

-Craig

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

I believe Sorrento is a model and the manufacturer is Nuova Point, but I could be wrong.
Dave Stephens

timo888

#9: Post by timo888 replying to cannonfodder »

I placed an order for a set. They look very nice, and appear to have a nice heft to them. Thanks for the lead. How did my wife know exactly what I wanted for Valentine's Day!
Regards
Timo

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

Timo, the Nuovo Point are the heaviest demitasses in my collection and one of my favorites. At one time the white ones were hard to find, but now I see they're back on Amazon.com.
jffhn wrote:Can anyone comment on their preference for shape and size of espresso cup? I have used a 3-3.5 oz. cup (somewhat squat, wider than it is tall) for many years. It gives me a good slurp and seems to open up the aroma better than, say, an Illy style demitasse.
Thanks for starting this topic. Most of my demitasses are Illy style / shaped in the 1.5 to 2.0 ounce range. I usually reserve the 3 to 3.5 ounce cups for macchiatos, but this morning I'm trying the bigger demi for straight espresso. I suspect the cup size subconsciously influences the volume at which I pull the shot (i.e., pulling a double into a single Illy demitasse will by definition be a ristretto since its capacity at the lettering is ~1.5 ounces).
Dan Kehn