Post your espresso pics - Page 11

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Da1513

#101: Post by Da1513 »

Image

Best way to start a holiday weekend. Barrington 413, 20g in 42g out

HotLava
Supporter ♡

#102: Post by HotLava »

Caffee Lusso Rescue Freedom Blend Niche Zero 13.75, VST 18, no WDT, distribution tool only, 7 second pre infusion at 203. 18.1/32.2 in 30 seconds.

Best so far dark chocolate raspberry. It will be perfect if I shave 2 seconds off the shot with a slight coarser grind.

Image

I got these new large black vinyl mats for my workstation. Makes a nice backdrop. Very dramatic.
Joe

User avatar
keno

#103: Post by keno »

Image

Home roasted half caf with a natural Ethiopian Guji and Colombian EA decaf.

Shot was pulled using the April Coffee (Patrik Rolf) recipe. He calls it "modern espresso" and it is really the antithesis of a ristretto.

Supposed to be 23g in a 17-18g basket, but most I can fit in a 17g LM basket is 22g. Grind is more coarse for a faster flow rate and the shot is pulled quickly but long (I went to almost 50g). Patrik recommends 2.5 ratio. Tastes sweet and clean. Not as photogenic as a tiger striped ristretto but taste better.

Here is his recipe with a video: https://www.aprilcoffeeroasters.com/blo ... n-espresso

wachuko

#104: Post by wachuko »

HotLava wrote:Caffee Lusso Rescue Freedom Blend Niche Zero 13.75, VST 18, no WDT, distribution tool only, 7 second pre infusion at 203. 18.1/32.2 in 30 seconds.

Best so far dark chocolate raspberry. It will be perfect if I shave 2 seconds off the shot with a slight coarser grind.

I got these new large black vinyl mats for my workstation. Makes a nice backdrop. Very dramatic.
Got my order today. Not sure what to make of it... Pulled it with the same settings I had... but failed to measure times...

Caffee Lusso Rescue Freedom Blend
18 grams in / 24 grams out
Pre-infusion set at 3 bar

Definitely pickup on the dark chocolate and raspberry

Find it to have higher acidity than Caffe Lusso Lionshare...

Must rinse and repeat... and measure everything next time

Image

Image
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

HotLava
Supporter ♡

#105: Post by HotLava »

Try 18/32 in 28 seconds. Should be well balanced. I did the 18/32 in 30 and it was a little bitter forward. Not bad but I know a little coarser will clean it up. I got a kilo bag so I have plenty to play with.
Joe

wachuko

#106: Post by wachuko » replying to HotLava »

Thank you. I will give it another try tomorrow... I have had too many today, lol. Also got their Costa Rica as well...

Image


I only got the small bag to try since anything with fruit I have not had good luck with it... just comfortable with old school blends.

I did get 2 1KG bags of Lionshare...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Atbat82

#107: Post by Atbat82 »

keno wrote:image

Home roasted half caf with a natural Ethiopian Guji and Colombian EA decaf.

Shot was pulled using the April Coffee (Patrik Rolf) recipe. He calls it "modern espresso" and it is really the antithesis of a ristretto.

Supposed to be 23g in a 17-18g basket, but most I can fit in a 17g LM basket is 22g. Grind is more coarse for a faster flow rate and the shot is pulled quickly but long (I went to almost 50g). Patrik recommends 2.5 ratio. Tastes sweet and clean. Not as photogenic as a tiger striped ristretto but taste better.

Here is his recipe with a video: https://www.aprilcoffeeroasters.com/blo ... n-espresso
That's wild... so a coarser grind, faster pull, updosed shot? I'll have to give this a try, but it sounds like a recipe for under extraction, no? Even with the slightly larger ratio (and I don't consider 1:2.5 to be too crazy), I'm not sure how a light roast would properly extract. However, experimenting is half the fun. Did you do any kind of super long preinfusion or anything?

User avatar
keno

#108: Post by keno » replying to Atbat82 »

Nope, doesn't taste underextracted. Pulled the shot on my LMLM so no real preinfusion.

I think the updosing beyond the basket's rated capacity helps to hold the puck together. When water hits the coffee it expands and since the basket is full the coffee has no where to go compressing the puck and helping to prevent channeling despite a coarser grind and allowing for a more even extraction. That's my theory at least. Seems to work pretty well but only recently started playing around with the technique. Watch the video and give it a go!

shotwell

#109: Post by shotwell »

Atbat82 wrote:That's wild... so a coarser grind, faster pull, updosed shot? I'll have to give this a try, but it sounds like a recipe for under extraction, no? Even with the slightly larger ratio (and I don't consider 1:2.5 to be too crazy), I'm not sure how a light roast would properly extract. However, experimenting is half the fun. Did you do any kind of super long preinfusion or anything?
They're saying they're getting an 8% TDS in the video, so roughly 20% extraction for 1:2.5. From experience, a 20% extraction of a well roasted light roast coffee is excellent when pulled from a sufficiently unimodal grinder.

I personally prefer a higher extraction, but it sounds like I could get where I like to be using this technique and a 1:3 ratio instead of grinding super fine and preinfusing as long as possible. I'm excited to try it!

wachuko

#110: Post by wachuko »

Caffe Lusso Costa Rica La Minita

Image

Image


18 in
25 out because it was coming out too fast... will grind finer. Was able to taste the citrus and chocolate... but not one that I will order again. I am too boring and will stick with Lionshare. I just do not enjoy all these fruity flavors... There is some level of acidity on this one as well. Let me adjust the grind and make another one...

Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654