Peruvian asks how to get into U.S. market

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
MB

#1: Post by MB »

Turns out that a friend of mine has a small family coffee plot in Peru, close to the Cajamarca region. He doesn't do anything with his portion, and just lets family do whatever, but he has a friend and her family does produce coffee (see elquintecafe.com) and she is interested in selling in the U.S. Any ideas on where to start? Direct to Roasters? Importers? I see that there is an organization, Cenfrocafe, in the Cajamarca region, so I mentioned that, but any other insights that might be helpful?
LMWDP #472

happycat

#2: Post by happycat replying to MB »

For speciality... Maybe get a q grader to cup and rate the coffee. Examine picking and processing to reduce defects and improve the score. god in a cup is a book with interesting info about third wave roasters. They always wanted to find the particular farm and location on a farm with the best beans, and ensure only properly ripe cherries were picked. They would deal with cooperative processors and farmers and try to reward the best coffees.

There are competitions where farmers enter lots to generate buzz. There are greens suppliers like Sweet Maria's whose people go onto farms and cup coffee and buy lots. If someone is already importing from Peru, maybe they can visit his friend's farm.

It's worth digging into the economics and comparing options.
LMWDP #603

MB (original poster)

#3: Post by MB (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply. I will pass it on. :)
LMWDP #472