Palate Cleanser

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
mckolit

#1: Post by mckolit »

So I was looking at this old thread The Ideal Palate Refresher and only the last two posts talked about what I needed. Specifically clearing out toothpaste. What do you use to prepare for your first shot in the morning? I brush my teeth and that minty fresh breath doesn't go well with my coffee and the first shot is pretty much burned. What do you do to clear away the toothpaste?

bean2friends

#2: Post by bean2friends »

I don't brush my teeth till after morning coffee.
I think I learned that here on HB a long time ago.
At first it seemed odd as,, like you, brushing my teeth was the first thing I did every morning.
But, I sure have learned to enjoy my morning coffee more.

txxt
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by txxt »

Important to use a tongue scraper too. I use Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste that rinses away fairly clean after brushing so those are my major aids to tasting coffee without influence.

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by DamianWarS »

mckolit wrote:So I was looking at this old thread The Ideal Palate Refresher and only the last two posts talked about what I needed. Specifically clearing out toothpaste. What do you use to prepare for your first shot in the morning? I brush my teeth and that minty fresh breath doesn't go well with my coffee and the first shot is pretty much burned. What do you do to clear away the toothpaste?
I brush my teeth without toothpaste as soon as I wake up and after breakfast/coffee I do it again with toothpaste. Your toothbrush will still have a slight toothpaste resisdue that adds a bit of mint but not enough to destory your morning coffee.

mckolit (original poster)

#5: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Before going downstairs with morning breath, I'd like to know if there's another way. Definitely not a Nutella sandwich though like this morning :D

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

@txxt recommended Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste. There's also Oranurse unflavored toothpaste, I've tried that but didn't like the results as much as regular toothpaste.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

SteveRhinehart

#7: Post by SteveRhinehart »

My understanding is that sodium laureth sulfate is the big culprit for taste impediments after brushing with toothpaste. Using a toothpaste without SLS and without minty flavor (such as bubblegum or orange flavored) is often recommended for those who have to taste coffee professionally.

I've noticed that in the aftercare of a tooth extraction, the salt water swishing seemed to reset my palate fairly effectively. I would brush as usual, then swish salt water instead of a typical mouthwash. Afterward I didn't notice any lingering minty flavor.

#8: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Epic fail this morning. Got ready to try gargling with salt water and somehow mixed cups up and gargled with just normal hot water. :oops: I need coffee.

txxt
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by txxt »

Edit: Misquoted myself!

#10: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Gargled with salt water this morning and oh my. It was like listening to music with high end headphones for the first time. The highs were high, the lows were low, and the mid tones were crisp. Okay, maybe not as dramatic but it did clean my palate up so I could actually taste the first shot. Now to get some baking soda toothpaste.
Thanks for the tips everybody.