...or you could try Nespresso coffee capsules - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jesawdy

#11: Post by jesawdy »

I won't knock it until I try it. The whole design seems to have some merit, more so than PODs in my mind. Assuming it is encapsulated as soon as the coffee is ground, it should retain more aromatics than I would expect from a POD. I have only had POD prepared coffee twice, and both times it was overextracted and dreadful.

For the convenience, I think $0.49 per drink isn't that terrible... but $1.00 per drink at home seems to be pushing it if you end up using two capsules per beverage (if you want a double). Of course, you may have only spent $200 on the Nespresso machine, and not $1500 on a grinder and machine. $1300 will buy you 2600 capsules!

The wikipedia entry for Nespresso is mildly interesting.
Jeff Sawdy

mattwells

#12: Post by mattwells »

I will admit to trying it - at a mall about a month or two ago, maybe William-Sonoma or another of the kitchen stores were doing a little demo.

Everything said was about right on. I have definitely had worse cups, but I can always make better at home. It tasted a little 'off,' but that could be attributed to the fact I was having it in a mall (literally the only time in the past 2 years I have been to a mall) and the odd surroundings could have made it taste off. It didn't really taste like espresso, more like strong coffee with subdued flavor characteristics. The economy of it doesn't really add up (as noted), but it was WAY better than the other super auto (that ground and brewed) they were demo'ing next to it. I will also add that it tasted better than what I remember pods tasting like (but time from one tasting to the other may have a lot to do with that).

One thing that irritated me (and I pointed out to the person doing the demo, much to my wife's chagrin) was that they have "espresso" capsules and "lungo" capsules. One of the espresso ones is called 'ristretto.' This has nothing to do with extraction time, just their name for it. Minor point, but bothered my aficionado-sensibilities.
Matt Wells

LMWDP #160

darrylr

#13: Post by darrylr »

Actually I've had ESE pod drinks that are a good deal better than Nespresso drinks, but the result with ESE pods does vary a lot depending on what machine is being used and the brand of pod, whereas Nespresso is pretty consistent. Neither of course is a good choice when you want real coffee.

Darryl

gabriel

#14: Post by gabriel »

mattwells wrote:One thing that irritated me (and I pointed out to the person doing the demo, much to my wife's chagrin) was that they have "espresso" capsules and "lungo" capsules. One of the espresso ones is called 'ristretto.' This has nothing to do with extraction time, just their name for it. Minor point, but bothered my aficionado-sensibilities.
I read once that the Lungo capsules are using coarser grind so you will get more liquid in the 25 seconds
I'm not sure, but the ristretto might use finer grind (just guessing)

I had two Nespresso machines at home and family members start buying them as well after trying them so I got lot of experience with them (side note, the C190/290 make better coffee than the C/D90/100)
Can you compare Nespresso to freshly roasted high quality espresso made on a proper machine by an experienced Barista ?
Of course not, but if you try to do better than SB etc. than Nespresso can hold their own and than some
Nespresso will never produce burn/bitter/sour coffee, on the other hand the taste is very flat compared to good espresso

One more thing, if you try them in WS ask the PBTC to stop extraction after 1-2oz (they aim for the 3-4oz mark)
/gabi

Soshry

#15: Post by Soshry »

Hello:

I owned a Nespresso machine and used it daily for 2 years. Ironically, it was on a trip to Switzerland, home of Nespresso, that I started drinking real espresso in some of the cafes and I was convinced that Nespresso does not compare to the real thing. After doing much research (on this site and Coffeegeek) I purchased a Quickmill Alexia and Macap M4 grinder. Nespresso makes a good drink and if you like milk drinks, it does a great job there as well. Once I tasted real espresso, I realized that Nespresso is not quite there. The crema looks great but it disappears after one sip. If you want espresso, Nespresso does not come close to a good home setup. While Nespresso has done a great job at creating a system that anyone can use, a knowledgeable espresso drinker will never be convinced.

Steve

OldVillain (original poster)

#16: Post by OldVillain (original poster) »

gabriel wrote:I read once that the Lungo capsules are using coarser grind so you will get more liquid in the 25 seconds
I'm not sure, but the ristretto might use finer grind (just guessing)
You're basically correct Gabriel.

A Nespresso Ristretto is meant to be drunk in half the quantity of regular espresso's. Lungo's tend to be twice the volume of the regulars.

I watched the capsules being filled and sealed at the Orbe Nespresso factory in Switzerland (see centre of the panoramic view).
The blend of beans is roasted and then allowed to rest in silos. The next day, the contents of the silos are ground to an exact particle size and filled into capsules and hermetically sealed for use by lazy coffee drinkers like me. :)

Ross

#17: Post by Ross »

Had a few Nescafe dolce Gusto pods at a friends this morning. First time I have seen them in the US. Many airlines have them in their first/business class galleys. That is the first place I tried them and they are really not bad for a quick, clean, consistent shot, they are not really espresso but sort of a strong good tasting coffee. The documentation on his machine said it brewed at 19 bars, I thought that was a typo but it's true, some use 14 bars, obviously a lot more pressure (somewhere) than standard 9 bar espresso. I liked the black canister, called a "ristretto" :), I guess for someone who just wants a fast shot on the way to work or wants to make one decaf for a guest, this is a great way to go. I took a canister apart and was impressed by the grind and aroma. Nescafe did some homework on this stuff. I have seen specialty coffee shops in Paris packed with these little pods and people, I guess it will soon be available all over in the USA. My wife was impressed by the fact that the machine created no mess in the kitchen. I tend to scatter fine grinds everywhere in the quest for the perfect dose. There will be a huge market for these in the US when the pods are more available. Of course I have had better shots, but I have had worse ones too. These babies will set a new minimum standard for coffee that is a lot higher than todays standard.
Ross

HB
Admin

#18: Post by HB »

During the holiday shopping, I stopped by Williams-Sonoma where a salesman was enthusiastically demonstrating the Nespresso capsule system. I tried two samples (Ristretto and Capricco). If I applied the SCAA barista competition scoring, they would be in the 1.5-2.0 range. It was a pleasant surprise since I was bracing myself for the super-auto dreck I sampled during my last visit. The salesman also demonstrated a combo milk heating / frothing unit ("Nespresso Aeroccino Automatic Milk Frother"). It produces airy "white cap" foam that looks inviting, but is devoid of texture and sweetness. To their credit, the Nespresso capsule / frother was about as good as a typical cafe in my area and far more consistent.

Together the pod system and frother go for around $300. Each capsule makes a single espresso and costs around $0.50. If you simply must have espresso/cappuccinos and have no time, it's worth stopping by Williams-Sonoma to judge for yourself. It's cheaper than a super-auto and the two drinks were better than the super-auto espressos I've tried. That said, my recommendation for the no-budget no-time crowd remains a good grinder and presspot for a truly memorable coffee rather than a minimally acceptable (N)espresso that is forgotten moments after it's consumed.
Dan Kehn

edwa

#19: Post by edwa »

Okay Ken, I'm sitting here in my pajamas, and I'm going to add my un-expert comments! :)

There is a Nespresso machine at the studio I'm working at in Melbourne. In fact that is the only form of coffee available. No drip, no press pot, not even a percolator. Oddly enough one of the few Starbucks is close enough to reach by a long walk but after watching the kid make an espresso and a latte I got worried for my health and haven't returned.

On the positive side the little machine is a workhorse serving over a dozen people throughout the day. We have all the different varieties and decaf to boot, though no one seems to use those much. I've not tried the milk gadget but a few of the crew use it regularly.

On the negative side:
my first and foremost complaint is the waste of materials used for the pods. I'm not sure they can be recycled, these Aussies certaintly aren't, so we are just adding to landfills not to say anything about what the creation of the pod materials caused.
second, is taste. In this case beggars can't be choosers, I have nothing else at hand. I've tried them all and as straight espresso I have found them lacking in any kind of depth or complexity. Forget any tastes of chocolate, caramel, fruit, etc., you end up with what tastes like instant espresso. A far cry from the Klatch roasted beans I pull at home. After much experimentation my usage has come down to 2 pods per cup, add about 3-4 ozs of hot water and then some milk. I suppose the coffees would be better accepted by those who like some sugar in their espresso. As a diabetic I don't have that option.

My family certaintly rolls their eyes at my coffee obsessions. If you like the taste of nespresso, good on ya, as the Australians say. BUT take some responsibility and investigate whether the manufacture of the pods are just adding to the problem and find out if you can recycle them. At least the pucks from conventional machines can be added to the soil and compost.

JustDisGuy

#20: Post by JustDisGuy »

I just wanted to chime in and say I love my Nespresso machine!

I have no issue messing around with beans and grinding and tamping and occasionally pulling a truly high quality shot out of my lever machine at home, but at the office I don't have time and my boss doesn't have the patience! So, enter Nespresso. Excellent quality (for a pod - and far better than *any* local barista I've tried) and zero muss and fuss.

They're great for what they're made for, but that's it - if you want an awesome shot that tastes like art, you're going to have to put more effort into it than popping a capsule into the machine and pressing a button.

Cheers!