Oatly milk supply problems? - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
BikerDave

#21: Post by BikerDave »

They can't keep this stuff in stock. The Barista edition Oatmilk has been out of stock for months. Today it was released at 1pm EST. Sold out in less then 30 minutes. They already have another release date on the site, Oct 10th.

People are not happy about the lack of supple, check out the comments.

https://us.oatly.com/products/barista-e ... ct-reviews

danhealy

#22: Post by danhealy »

Incredible. Well, the Pacific Foods brand arrived and I've been pouring some caps with it, it definitely checks all the marks but as an espresso drinker it hasn't really blown my socks off or anything. I'll report back again if I ever get my hands on Oatly to try them side by side.

chipman

#23: Post by chipman »

BikerDave wrote:They can't keep this stuff in stock. The Barista edition Oatmilk has been out of stock for months. Today it was released at 1pm EST. Sold out in less then 30 minutes. They already have another release date on the site, Oct 10th.
Look for some of the regular Oatly milk in your grocery store. It steams and has a very neutral taste. Of course saying that, my grocery is out of that too. I actually don't think that Oatly is goiing to succeed over here much longer. Getting on a waiting list for phony milk? Give me a break.

cafeaffe

#24: Post by cafeaffe »

danhealy wrote:Incredible. Well, the Pacific Foods brand arrived and I've been pouring some caps with it, it definitely checks all the marks but as an espresso drinker it hasn't really blown my socks off or anything. I'll report back again if I ever get my hands on Oatly to try them side by side.
In comparing the Pacific Barista Series to the Oatly back to back, I think the Pacific is slightly more acidic and interferes with the espresso a bit. The Oatly is less sweet and allows the espresso to speak more for itself. Now if only they could fix the supply issue...

keno (original poster)

#25: Post by keno (original poster) replying to cafeaffe »

I agree with your assessment, but I would add that the difference between Pacific Foods Barista Oat and Oatly Barista is relatively small compared to the difference between either and any other alternative milk. The oat milks IMO are just hands down better than almond, soy, etc.

Almico

#26: Post by Almico »

I'm on my second case of Elmhurst Oat Milk at the bar and people seem to love it. I am not a good judge. I still like moo juice.

Bret

#27: Post by Bret »

I got a case of the Elmhurst, tastes okay (I prefer milk, but it works okay in coffee, especially for those who can't drink dairy), my wife likes it in her morning smoothies. I have not been able to froth it into a latte-art suitable foam. I did get one carton of the Oatley Barista version, so will move directly to that when this current Elmhurst carton is used up, try the taste and foaming on it.

I suppose a dramatically different technique might be required to froth this oat stuff. I haven't sorted it out yet, have just been trying variations on what I usually do, main variation is to try to 'stretch' it more than I do with milk.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#28: Post by jbviau »

A few local shops have started using Minor Figures oat milk and reporting that it compares favorably to Oatly. They say it's easier to get and keep in stock; I think they might be ordering by the case from here: https://www.baristaunderground.com/prod ... s-oat-milk
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

sluflyer06

#29: Post by sluflyer06 »

Did anyone else get a case just now? They were sold out in less than 10 minutes.

I got a case for my wife who cannot drink milk, our friend in London sent us a bottle months ago and she liked it and we've had trouble finding milk alternatives that don't either taste like garbage or curdle when making lattes.

Shojin

#30: Post by Shojin »

sluflyer06 wrote:Did anyone else get a case just now? They were sold out in less than 10 minutes.
It's really good. I missed the order window for the second month in a row, despite setting a reminder both times. I just ordered some of the Minor Figures posted above instead. The regular Oatly works fine for steaming as well, if you can find any in stock.

I'm looking forward to Oatly getting their new US production facility open next spring. They say it'll increase output eightfold.