Oatly milk supply problems? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Almico

#11: Post by Almico »

How much fat can there be in oat milk that there needs to be a fat free version?

My Elmhurst Oat Milk order arrived and it is quite good. A bit sweet, but it foams easily.

chipman

#12: Post by chipman »

Checking the label of the regular Oatly milk shows 5gm of fat with .5gm being saturated.

drgary
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary »

keno wrote:After searching some more I found that Pacific Foods has recently introduced a barista version of oat milk. The ingredients look virtually identical to Oatly. So I took the plunge and ordered a case of 12 for $40.

I'll report back on the PF barista version once I get it
Ken,

Have you tried it? How does it compare to Oatly?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TomC
Team HB

#14: Post by TomC »

All the brands I've tried are intensely sweet, and it jumps out even more for me, since I basically avoid all carbs. I bought these for my girlfriend and have only tried a few tiny sips. At least it's not gritty, grainy feeling or any weird aftertastes. Steams fine without getting weird like other nut milks.

I would have loved to have been an investor about 10 months ago.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

DuckTwacy

#15: Post by DuckTwacy »

When we've run out of Oatly at work, it's often taken us several weeks and several reorders before we get it back in stock. Supply is far outstripped by demand.

We use the regular half-gallon cartons and it's not bad. It's easy to work with and it doesn't muck the flavor of the espresso (or separate) like soy milk tends to do.
Old baristi never die; they just can't take the grind.

danhealy

#16: Post by danhealy »

It looks like the Elmhurst product contains added sugar, which makes it a nonstarter - the main complaint with my caps from the in-house critic is that they are too sweet when I use something with added sugar.

So seeing as Oatly is relatively impossible to get, I just bought some Pacific Naturals Barista series Oat milk from baristaproshop.com for a little over $5/ea. Shipping is $8.95 up to 6 count and they charge $3.65 per. This is a little cheaper than what I can find on Amazon and there you need to buy 12. However I didn't do a lot of shopping around on this, I bet you can get it cheaper. This brand is so popular I imagine it's available at local grocers somewhere.

I found this on that same website, they also sell Oatly:

Anyway, I hope we like it, haha!

oButto

#17: Post by oButto »

danhealy wrote:It looks like the Elmhurst product contains added sugar, which makes it a nonstarter - the main complaint with my caps from the in-house critic is that they are too sweet when I use something with added sugar.

So seeing as Oatly is relatively impossible to get, I just bought some Pacific Naturals Barista series Oat milk from baristaproshop.com for a little over $5/ea. Shipping is $8.95 up to 6 count and they charge $3.65 per. This is a little cheaper than what I can find on Amazon and there you need to buy 12. However I didn't do a lot of shopping around on this, I bet you can get it cheaper. This brand is so popular I imagine it's available at local grocers somewhere.

I found this on that same website, they also sell Oatly:
<image>

Anyway, I hope we like it, haha!
Just searched up the Pacific Naturals Barista Series Oat milk. It seems to have added sugar as well (albeit 2g less per serving). Let us know how it goes!

danhealy

#18: Post by danhealy replying to oButto »

I think that is just natural sugars from the oats. Oatly and Pacific foods don't have sugar as an ingredient

jbviau
Supporter ★

#19: Post by jbviau »

Suddenly the local Target here in S. FL is flush with oat milk! This is an end cap display:

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

keno (original poster)

#20: Post by keno (original poster) »

So far I've managed to try Oatly Barista, Oatly regular, and Pacific Foods Oat Barista. Got the Oatly Barista from a local specialty foods store for $5 per quart, the Oatly regular from Whole Foods for $5 per half gallon, and the Pacific Foods Oat Barista from Barista Underground for about $4 per quart shipped when ordering two cases. Here's my assessment.

Oatly Barista - I think this is probably the best overall. It froths very well and has a very neutral taste that does not obscure the flavor of the coffee, unlike some other dairy alternatives. To my taste it is LESS sweet than regular milk.

Oatly regular - this is packaged in a carton that requires refrigeration. Does not froth quite as well as the barista version and lacks a little of the richness as well. A good cheaper alternative if it's available in a local store.

Pacific Foods Barista - this would be my second choice coming in just a hair behind the Oatly Barista. It's a tiny bit sweeter and is probably the closest in that regard to milk. It's a big step up from the more available non-barista version that PF offers. Also a good alternative if you want shelf stable and are having trouble getting a hold of Oatly Barista.

The interesting thing about oat milk is that it pours slightly yellow into the pitcher but after frothing appears a lot whiter. It looks more like milk in the cup than some other alternatives.