Normcore Leveling Tamper v3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
gamerluke

#1: Post by gamerluke »

I just received a Normcore 58.5mm tamper from Amazon, and pretty sure I received a v3 instead of the advertised v2.

Now generally, I'd be excited about this but v3 has left me confused. See the video on their site and the description of the difference:

https://www.normcorewares.com/collectio ... upgrate-v3

Basically, they've added a second spring so that the leveling plate and the tamping base both push against separate springs. However, this means that changing between the included 15/25/30lb springs that are included only really affect the movement of the leveling plate. Once you push past the initial force, the smaller internal spring provides the resistance against the puck. Unfortunately, this means I have zero feel/control over how much force is actually exerted on the puck, since the tamper bottoms out before I can feel any compression.

Based on a rough scale test, it seems this lighter spring that's used for the tamping base only allows me to exert somewhere between 5-10 lbs of force. Now I know this is probably "enough" for a functional tamp, and is at least consistent from one tamp to the next, I don't like the fact that I can't feel the compacting of the puck OR choose the force of the smaller spring.

Am I thinking about this all wrong?

Advertisement
Espressoman007

#2: Post by Espressoman007 »

Hi,
can you write more about the quality of the tamper? Looks great and the price is great too. I have one Lev tamper from Aliexpress, but I am not using it because the axel is not tight with the base, so basically it wiggles. The one I have you can see on Option-O's short clip, when demonstrating their grinder.
What about this particular tamper is well made?

Cheers!

LindoPhotography

#3: Post by LindoPhotography »

Yeah, don't love the lack of feedback / feel when tamping. I think others also have mentioned it feels like it's not going deep enough to compact the coffee, but IT IS, it's just the internal extra hidden spring somewhere compresses and maybe more lightly tamps it.

I have a Decent 58mm V3 Tamper as well, it's the same idea, but 58.35mm not 58.5mm, it actually has a LESS deep range of movement so the Normcore wins there (slightly). But you can FEEL the resistance and pressure with the Decent one,which is good if you want to feel how hard you are tamping (which I do) but the Normcore may give you a more consistent pressure tamp although you have no or little control over how much pressure. (There's a V4 out now, I'm not sure but it seems you may have some options on how much force it applies now!)

I really like the Normcore V3 58.5mm base, it does fit tighter (not sure if it really makes a difference and you also have to be more careful when removing it because it creates a vacuum/ suction!) Currently I'm actually using the Decent V3 tamper with the base from the 58.5mm Normcore v3, they work just fine interchangeably! So best of both worlds? :)