Newbie Espresso Help - 1.5 oz. shots at 40+grams?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
URMarc

#1: Post by URMarc »

I'm a newbie and just bought a Breville Barista express. I'm using a Lunar Acaia scale and measuring 17-18g of beans for my 54mm portafilter using the single wall double basket. Using fresh roasted beans (within 1 week of roast date) from local roasteries in Dallas (Cultivar, Houndstooth). Grinder size is usually between 5-7 setting.

I've reviewed several initial espresso guides (on this site and others) and am still learning. However, I've been getting about a 1.5oz double shot weighing in well over 40grams, with it taking about 17-20 seconds (after preinfusion), using the pre-programmed double shot button. I'm looking to get closer to a 2 oz. volume at 36-40 grams at around 30 seconds. What adjustments to grind size, etc. would you folks recommend as I continue to experiment? Any help would be appreciated.

jevenator

#2: Post by jevenator »

The standard view in the current coffee scene is that we don't look at coffee by volume and only by the weight in grams of beans we grind up of and the weight of the espresso shot in g it comes out and looking at the ratio that it pulls.

18g in and 36 grams out would be a 1:2 ratio and so would 16.5g in and 33g out would also be 1:2. The taste of it might be a little bit different though.

With that being said since you already have a great scale stick to just the weights. You've already seen that the volume won't necessarily match g's in a shot glass because of the crema. Crema can vary wildly to a whole bunch to practically none depending on factors such as the type of bean and how fresh it is and therefore the volume or sight shouldn't really be used as an indicator of how good a shot will be or how much coffee we need to extract.

If you want to get 36-40g in 30 seconds you need to grind finer. Usually, if you are grinding finer you will need to lower the dose (g's in) to not choke the machine or run along gentle preinfusion. I would recommend sticking to a single weight that works best for the beans and basket you are using like 17.5g to not get an imprint on the shower screen and adjust only grind fineness to get your desired time which will effect the taste.

I'd recommend setting your buttons to run for a long time so that you can manually turn off the shot when you get the desired amount so that the machine doesn't interrupt you earlier.

URMarc (original poster)

#3: Post by URMarc (original poster) »

Thanks so much! Great info, and I appreciate it.

Radio.YYZ

#4: Post by Radio.YYZ »

For sure measure in gms instead of volume and play with your ratios.
I prefer all my coffee at 1:5 - 1:7ish ratio.
Depending on your beans i would try to get your desired ratio with 25-30sec in terms of time, longer the time the more bitters tend to be extracted and flavours get dulled.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

Qrumcof

#5: Post by Qrumcof »

Radio.YYZ wrote: Depending on your beans i would try to get your desired ratio with 25-30sec in terms of time, longer the time the more bitters tend to be extracted and flavours get dulled.
Does a pre-infusion count towards the time to extract bitters?

URMarc (original poster)

#6: Post by URMarc (original poster) »

I start my timer when the first drip hits the bottom of my glass, and i don't count pre-infusion.

Radio.YYZ

#7: Post by Radio.YYZ »

Qrumcof wrote:Does a pre-infusion count towards the time to extract bitters?
URMarc wrote:I start my timer when the first drip hits the bottom of my glass, and i don't count pre-infusion.
Time is usually when you the first drop hits the cup, plus i do half of lever pull till first drop. e.g if i pull the lever and it takes 8seconds before the first drop then First drop till end + (8sec/2).

Pre-infusion as URMarc said, never counted.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine