New York Times article on health benefits of coffee

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Here's the subtitle, which offers an overview of the research. "Drinking coffee has been linked to a reduced risk of all kinds of ailments, including Parkinson's disease, melanoma, prostate cancer, even suicide."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/14/well ... efits.html
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Smo

#2: Post by Smo »

Excellent! There is a reason to have an espresso at night!

IamOiman
Team HB

#3: Post by IamOiman »

Time to increase consumption to six doubles daily, just in case!
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

jpender

#4: Post by jpender »

We started getting the NY Times delivered several years ago and one of my favorite sections was the Science Times, where Ms. Jane Brody often has an article. I'm not a big fan of hers but this article summarizes our current understanding, as well our ignorance, reasonably well.

One thing that stands out for me is the quote she included from Michael Pollan who said he returned to "sleeping like a teenager again" after quitting coffee. But what she failed to mention was that his abstinence lasted a mere three months. Why? Because caffeine also has positive effects that he missed.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... ve-to-quit

I have used caffeine as a performance enhancing drug before exams in college. I know without a doubt that it helped. I still it use it that way sometimes.

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

IamOiman wrote:Time to increase consumption to six doubles daily, just in case!
and to what should I increase, given that six doubles is pretty much my daily average? :D
LMWDP #483

Ken5

#6: Post by Ken5 »

jpender wrote: I have used caffeine as a performance enhancing drug before exams in college. I know without a doubt that it helped. I still it use it that way sometimes.
I am fairly new to coffee, maybe a year. I can drink an espresso anytime of the day and if I sit down to watch tv most likely will fall asleep immediately afterwards. :(

Smo

#7: Post by Smo replying to Ken5 »

Do you press the power button on the TV? :)

Ken5

#8: Post by Ken5 »

:lol:

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

Ken5 wrote:I am fairly new to coffee, maybe a year. I can drink an espresso anytime of the day and if I sit down to watch tv most likely will fall asleep immediately afterwards. :(

Sensitivity varies. And one can also build up a tolerance. Michael Pollan talked about how much more powerful the drug was when he started drinking coffee again after three months.

When I was in college I wasn't a regular coffee drinker and I got a definite buzz. Now it's much less noticeable. I actually got 3/4 of the way through a bag of decaf one time before noticing it said "decaf" on the package. I couldn't tell that there wasn't any caffeine from my two cups a day. I have to drink more in a shorter time period to get a real buzz.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Also there's more than one stimulant in coffee, other than caffeine, and some people like me react differently to Robusta and Robusta blends.

Do you have trouble tolerating Robusta?

Time for another shot of Saka Gran Bar Top Selection 100% Arabica. I pull most of my shots these days through a paper filter. :wink:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!