New holding plate & shower screen Gaggia Classic Pro

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Kaffeind

#1: Post by Kaffeind »

HI y'all and Happy 2023,
Found this (new?) product on the WLL website. "BIT International Gaggia Classic Pro Shower Screen And Holding Plate" Anyone try this new plate and screen combo? I have the GC Pro with stock s/s 4 hole plate and stock shower screen with Mr Shades 9bar spring. Looks interesting with varying density of screen holes from the center to the periphery.

Viktor

#2: Post by Viktor »

https://www.wholelattelove.com/products ... ding-plate

Hmm Looks interesting.

I guess it would aim mimic the e61 style "preinfusion" by mechanically slowly filling up the chamber?!
Although given the "preinfusion" offered by vibration pumps I am wondering how useful this will be?

I am curious to see how the dispersion layout would impact evenness of extraction.

From what I remember, the spout is rather close to the left side holes on the standard plate, which may potentially cause channeling issues at higher pressures - I have been running the opv at 6 bar on my 05 classic, so this has been a non-issue.

I'm thinking if you have the aluminum block this will be a potentially solid upgrade, otherwise if you already have the stainless one, I can't imagine the benefits would be as dramatic, especially given the price.

But I am looking forward to putting parts together for the STM32 Gagguino modification, so I guess I won't see too much benefit for this upgrade, as preinfusion will be controlled.

https://gaggiuino.github.io/#/?id=home

Kaffeind (original poster)

#3: Post by Kaffeind (original poster) »

Thanks Viktor for your comment. I've noted the biggest change with the 2 Gaggias I've owned has been altering the spring. The stock spring at 12-15? bar used to create 4 dimples in the puck in line with the 4 holes in the shower screen holder. Changing to a 9bar spring
was a noticeable and beneficial improvement; no puck dimples and less channeling. I'll post if I decide to try the WLL holder/screen combo.

Viktor

#4: Post by Viktor »

The stock Gaggia opv setting is like using a firehose to water your bonsai.

I'm guessing that you would be using the Classic Pro?
I know that they switched from the old aluminum to stainless steel holders a year or so ago.
Might be good to check what you have.
I remember the aluminum one pretty much fused itself to the group head and took a bit of convincing with a screwdriver and hammer to remove :D

All the best with the decision!

Reyj
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Reyj »

Kaffeind wrote:HI y'all and Happy 2023,
Found this (new?) product on the WLL website. "BIT International Gaggia Classic Pro Shower Screen And Holding Plate" Anyone try this new plate and screen combo? I have the GC Pro with stock s/s 4 hole plate and stock shower screen with Mr Shades 9bar spring. Looks interesting with varying density of screen holes from the center to the periphery.
I installed this on my GCP, and I would say it extracts better. It looked significantly better and tasted great. I only pulled a couple shots because I'm gifting this machine to my mother in law.

My machine also has the 9 bar spring installed as well as the mrshades PID. I'm hoping to install the dimmer mod in the next week or so.

Kaffeind (original poster)

#6: Post by Kaffeind (original poster) »

Hi Reyj, encouraging report. I've yet to install the plate and screen. It appears that the countersink hole on the holding plate is not flared enough for the shower screen to fit snug..so I've got to countersink the hole in the plate. Hope to get to that mod soon.
Your success will motivate me to do this. I've got the Shades 9bar springs installed as well but no PID.