Most Helpful Info from HB

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
dvanderson2

#1: Post by dvanderson2 »

This site has transformed the quality of my espresso! Thanks to all. I thought I'd list what I found most helpful.

1.) Grinder grinder grinder grinder!

2.) Espresso 101

3.) Bottomless PF and VST baskets

4.) WDT and 58.5 mm tampers

Context... my Alexia's pump gave out and I had to resurrect Ms. Silvia. With the above learnings I was able to pull shots with the old Rancilio that were 90% there. It was an ah-hah moment for me. The grinder upgrade from Rocky to Mazzer Mini E Type A with SJ burrs is rock solid easy to dial in... that and other technique upgrades really made the Silvia "new" machine.

Headala

#2: Post by Headala »

Good to hear! And if you need to fix Alexia's pump, the folks here can probably help with that, too!

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. replying to Headala »

Whaddya mean, "PROBABLY"!? :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Headala

#4: Post by Headala replying to Randy G. »

He has to PROBABLY own a screwdriver? :lol:

dvanderson2 (original poster)

#5: Post by dvanderson2 (original poster) »

My used Alexia is still under warranty so I took it back up to Chris' Coffee in Albany. If it wasn't I would for sure be looking for help here.

Headala

#6: Post by Headala replying to dvanderson2 »

Oh that's good. They will take care of you.

I meant to add earlier that it's amazing how deep the espresso rabbit hole can go. Always something new to learn. So much knowledge is concentrated here. Guys like Randy above are such an amazing resource!

marlodmb

#7: Post by marlodmb »

I should be able to get away with using my espro 58mm calibrated tamper with the VST baskets right? My tamper comes tomorrow and I was going to order the 18, 20, 22g baskets and then saw the 58.3m vst tampers.... :shock:

RyanJE

#8: Post by RyanJE replying to marlodmb »

It's debatable how much of a difference you'll see between 58 and 58.5... I think that marginal difference is easily lost by even a small void in other routine proficiency like basket prep...

It's nice to own a 58.5mm tamper so there's no doubt, but I think that only comes play if everything else is spot on.

In fact, your better off focusing on a perfectly level tamp with proper pressure for now.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

dvanderson2 (original poster)

#9: Post by dvanderson2 (original poster) »

The 58 will do fine... and the calibrated tamper I had really helped me learn what 30 lbs of pressure felt like. I have a Pergtamp now and it is snug, but helps yield very consistent extractions. Still learning...

marlodmb

#10: Post by marlodmb »

RyanJE wrote:It's debatable how much of a difference you'll see between 58 and 58.5... I think that marginal difference is easily lost by even a small void in other routine proficiency like basket prep...

It's nice to own a 58.5mm tamper so there's no doubt, but I think that only comes play if everything else is spot on.

In fact, your better off focusing on a perfectly level tamp with proper pressure for now.
That's the whole reason I bought the espro tamper :wink: