Miracle berry and coffee

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
DamianWarS

#1: Post by DamianWarS »

has anyone ever taken the Miracle berry before drinking coffee? I've never had the stuff but I just saw some information on how it works and it has some sort of binding agent for your tastebuds where it suppresses in some capacity your perception of sour. It works so well that after use it you can apparently eat whole lemons or drink vinegar. I immediately thought of coffee applications and am wondering what coffee would taste like (brew or espresso) after you had one of these things. Does it also eliminate astringency or other bitter qualities? Does it make every shot a God-shot... and what about the God shots... are they now super God-shots? Has anyone tried it with coffee? what did you think?

jevenator

#2: Post by jevenator »

Very curious to try it now. Seems like you can get them off Amazon too.

Here's a reddit link to a somewhat reasonable explanation.
LMWDP #643

DamianWarS

#3: Post by DamianWarS » replying to jevenator »

I would like to know with a cheap $100 espresso machine what effect it has on the espresso. Maybe it makes the espresso God-shot-like where without it's good for the sink and that's it. #jameshoffmann... it sounds like something up his alley... his weird coffee science videos maybe.

Nik
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nik »

Amazon sells 2 packs of ten for $27.99. It is a miracle at $1.40 per tablet and the recommended dose are 2 tablets! Yikes. That's about the cost of two shots of coffee.

Nate42

#5: Post by Nate42 »

I posted on my experience with miracle fruit and coffee earlier this year: Miracle Fruit flavor trip

Your mileage may vary, but I found espresso to be intensely bitter and not at all pleasant. Did not try with pourover or any other brew method, but I would expect similar result but less intense. It was unpleasant enough that I wasn't about to waste more coffee trying different methods.

DamianWarS

#6: Post by DamianWarS »

Nate42 wrote:I posted on my experience with miracle fruit and coffee earlier this year: Miracle Fruit flavor trip

Your mileage may vary, but I found espresso to be intensely bitter and not at all pleasant. Did not try with pour-over or any other brew method, but I would expect a similar result but less intense. It was unpleasant enough that I wasn't about to waste more coffee trying different methods.
very useful and I think a perfect test case knowing already how sour it was. I had an Aceh full wash today (v60), very clean taste but also very malic acid and a hidden bitterness wanting to come out but not quite there. A lot of people associate green apple with malic acid but this was like taking all the apple parts away and just leaving the sour, only long afterwards did I have a mouthfeel reminiscent of a green apple. It made me wonder what if I had one of these miracle berries what would it taste like? Well, apparently you've already asked those questions (or one similar) and I guess that hidden bitterness would take the lead. But I think not having a pill that makes all your shots taste like God-shots is probably a good thing.