Member Poll: What Is Espresso To You?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
CoffeeOwl

#1: Post by CoffeeOwl »

malachi wrote:School #1 -- espresso is a specific taste / feel profile drink that is prepared using coffee beans.
School #2 -- espresso is a methodology for preparing and consuming coffees.
I created a twitter poll: http://poll.fm/26kgy that you may want to participate in.
Asking: what espresso is to you? three answers - the two cited above plus one more.
8)

Moderator note: Topic split from Espresso Blends; Why Bother? by moderator.

See the original thread for context...
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

malachi

#2: Post by malachi »

FWIW, adding that additional choice muddies the results (in my opinion of course).
What's in the cup is what matters.

zin1953

#3: Post by zin1953 »

Agreed.
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Psyd

#4: Post by Psyd replying to zin1953 »

Yup, there obviously need to be a 'D. All of the above'.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

CoffeeOwl (original poster)

#5: Post by CoffeeOwl (original poster) »

Thanks for the comments!
I think the ultimate method of experiencing coffee is like a finer pointing out that it is 'the method' for someone. Otherwise, it is just another method.
This also touches more coffee then just espresso, though with focus on espresso.
'All of the above' - for me that doesn't go, because it would suggest an ambivalency - once I prefer espresso to be specific taste beverage and other time it's just a method of making coffee, or yet the ultimate one - in real world yes all of them are true, but the question is: what espresso is to you...then I believe the options I included cover the subject in exhaustive and complete way.
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

shadowfax

#6: Post by shadowfax »

The thing is, A (specific taste experience) and B (way of brewing coffee) are mutually exclusive. Hence, I think the D (All of the above) comment was in jest-or at least I hope it was. Anyway, having it as A vs. B poses the rather unspecific question ("what is espresso to you?") more like this: "Why do you drink espresso?" and, "what is espresso supposed to be?" It's not a "do you like espresso?" or "how much do you like espresso?" question. But you fundamentally change the question when you add in C. Now people are answering 2 questions at once, "What is espresso [supposed to be]?" and "how much do you like espresso?" When you mix these two, it's impossible to tell which question is being answered, and the answers can no longer be meaningfully interpreted-they're muddied.
Nicholas Lundgaard

malachi

#7: Post by malachi »

Also by adding C you are forcing a card in the sense that you have an answer you believe in and more important one that you don't believe in and you're trying (probably subconsciously) to skew the results.

CoffeeOwl (original poster)

#8: Post by CoffeeOwl (original poster) »

I agree that adding the C changes the topic but I don't think it affects the results making them unclear, because all the options are still mutually exclusive; the thing is that the second group of the original question has the possibility to express their view towards espresso. I agree it would be better to make another poll asking about the different methods of experiencing coffee and preferences towards them. But then there would be the assumption that it is just one of methods of making coffee - so the option that it is a specific beverage would be out, or the people thinking that way would be out. Now this could come out - that it is rather a specific beverage then ultimate method for coffee...
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

malachi

#9: Post by malachi »

Related topic here.

Arpi

#10: Post by Arpi »

My answer would be none of the above.

From the options of the answers given, I think that the questions is: what do you think espresso is for the whole planet instead of what espresso is for you. With the answers given, the greatest chosen option tries to look for the right answer (as a poll), which doesn't, because each answer should be unique and right by itself.

Espresso for me has become a hobby (a distraction or entertainment). It is a challenge that started with a simple piece of equipment and grew to become almost an obsession (hobby obsession). The greater the challenge for me, the greater the reward and feeling of accomplishment. Laterally, it also serves as a means to drink coffee in a different way than drip. The flavors are more salty, sweeter, more aromatic, more pronounced, more acidic. It is more than drip and therefore less forgiving to carelessness (more challenging) or preparation. The equipment (espresso machine) was only the tip of the iceberg, as my espresso hobby starts its journey in the selection of beans followed by roasting. It will even draw you to consider the altitude and effect of the ground where the beans where grown.

Cheers