Massive Study of 347,077 People Just Revealed How Much Coffee A Day.

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
guydebord

#1: Post by guydebord »

https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/a-ma ... efits.html

We are doing something right! People. Let's spread the gospel!
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I'd be interested to know how they define a cup of coffee when they recommend 5 cups a day. My morning tumbler of coffee is around 300 ml coffee from 18 g ground coffee which I assume counts for 2 cups.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
DeGaulle

#3: Post by DeGaulle replying to yakster »

I have been asking myself the same thing. I mostly drink doppios made from 17 grams of coffee. Lately I started replacing one of my daily shots by an Aeropress brewed cup of joe. The remainder are 3 double shots a day (1-2 of which are cappuccinos). If 17 grams worth are equivalent to 2 cups, I should be past the tipping point.
Bert

RyanJE

#4: Post by RyanJE »

It irks me when "studies" talk about cups per day but dont / cant define how much coffee is in a cup! I mean seriously, the effort and detail put into something to just leave out an actual scientific measure of the coffee of some sort. I dont get it.

I always assume a "cup" of coffee in the US is 5oz. But really a cup of liquid is usually 8oz. Not sure why we Americans have such a horrible system of weights and measures.... There, I said it.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

keno

#5: Post by keno »

A cup of coffee in most research studies is defined as 6 oz. Which, for those of us more used to dosages in terms of grams of coffee, would work out to around 10-11 grams of coffee, assuming receommendations for optimal brew ratio of 15-17 parts water to coffee.

So, 2 doubles @ 14 grams each would put you at nearly 3 cups per day.

keno

#6: Post by keno »

OldNuc

#7: Post by OldNuc »

looks like the study did not bother to look at all the other possible impacting issues along with the basic one ---how many mg of caffeine in those 6 cups total? Study is more laugh material.

Advertisement
Moka 1 Cup

#8: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

The link is to an article. I could not find the actual study. Does anybody have a link to the study?
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqy297

The actual study was about comparing people having a particular genotype that is more efficient at clearing caffeine vs. those who don't, and the effect of having/not having that genotype on CVD risk (cardio-vascular disease, i.e., heart attack and stroke) when caffeine is consumed (typically as coffee). It has been thought that those who do not clear caffeine as well are at greater risk of CVD than those who do. The study did not find that to be the case. However:

The population was people in the UK Biobank, i.e., mostly Europeans genetically. If that isn't you, then ...

The actual significance was people drinking 1-2 (European-sized) cups/day had less CVD risk than non-drinkers, decaf drinkers, and those who drank more than 6 cups a day. 1-2 Euro cups is less than what people think of one 'cup' of coffee in North America, and that number seems consistent with other studies.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

happycat

#10: Post by happycat »

OldNuc wrote:looks like the study did not bother to look at all the other possible impacting issues along with the basic one ---how many mg of caffeine in those 6 cups total? Study is more laugh material.
They assumed caffeine intake
We approximated habitual caffeine intakes (mg/day) by combining information on coffee and tea consumption and assuming that 1 cup of coffee and tea contained approximately 75 and 40 mg of caffeine, respectively
p 510

They also had a ton of covariates

age, sex, and location
BMI and waist circumference
Smoking
Alcohol intake
Physical activity
Tea intake
self-reported health status
long-term illness (no, or yes).
Socioeconomic status
education

Their sample was limited to white British people

This was a logistic regression done on a big database of people who shared data on a lot of health factors
LMWDP #603