Making Italian Espresso, Making Espresso Italian (history paper)

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

Making Italian Espresso, Making Espresso Italian

January 2010 Food & History 8(2):155-183 DOI:10.1484/J.FOOD.1.102222
Authors: Jonathan Morris University of Hertfordshire
Abstract
Espresso coffee has become synonymous with Italy, as have those beverages which employ this as a base such as cappuccino and caffe latte. This article examines the processes by which espresso became "Italian" over the course of the twentieth century by investigating the way that the taste of Italian coffee has evolved, along with the taste for coffee amongst the Italians. In addition it discusses the ways in which the serving styles of these beverages have been adjusted to make them more palatable to coffee-drinking cultures outside Italy. By focussing on the sensory qualities of the coffee itself, it aims to produce a material history of espresso that can be read alongside that of the socio-cultural conditions that have occasioned its success.
29 pages. I found the first couple pages dry, but was soon engrossed. Plenty of coffee/espresso/post-war Italian history trivia. Link to PDF:
https://www.brepolsonline.net/doi/pdf/1 ... D.1.102222
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Thanks for posting that, the history was very interesting.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by TenLayers »

Appreciate the post. Thanks for this.

Primacog

#4: Post by Primacog »

Haven't checked out the Knockbox subforum much before this but it's threads like these that made me wish I had sooner! Thanks for the link.
LMWDP #729

Giampiero

#5: Post by Giampiero »

Great found, i'll take the time to read it.
Many years ago i bought a book " Coffee floats Tea Sinks" it's about the history of coffee machines, coffee grinders and many others brewing method, i prefer a book because it's more relaxing, i think i'll print the PDF article. :mrgreen:

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

It's a pretty quick read, more of an article than a book. You may not really need to print it out.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Moka 1 Cup

#7: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Very interesting well written article, very detailed with a lot of information.
Thank you for sharing it.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

My favorite tidbit: Valente of Faema broke off making levers for Gaggia in 1959 because Gaggia was too up market, and he wanted to make cheaper machines. Tmes have changed.
Jim Schulman