Looking for coffee area/cart ideas

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
wachuko

#1: Post by wachuko »

Well, looks like I will finally replace the temporary cart with something more permanent... and looking for ideas...

I have two walls/areas. One is about 48" wide, and the other area is 36" wide...

Does not look like I will be able to do this on the side that is 36" wide. So that means using that side for a wine station and the side that is 48" wide will serve as the coffee/espresso station.

Started by creating a layout of the area... 24"x48"

I will have a water supply and drain available... Thinking of using a butchers block countertop... But really open to any ideas...

I would just like to get feedback from those that have done it, and as far as the workflow goes, if there is something I might be missing. The "W" in the layout is a water filter faucet.

I know... not much space/area to work with... I could move the Rocket over to the wine area if there is something that I must have next to the Londinium (as this is my main/daily machine). And the wine area is just a countertop and the wine cooler below it...

Once I have the layout decided... I can look at the bottom... drawers, shelves, something else...

Thank you in advanced for your ideas!!
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

nguye569

#2: Post by nguye569 »

I did this at my current house a few months ago.
1. I think the butcher block is ideal, just make sure it's sealed. It's easy to cut/drill into it wherever u need and it's cheap to replace later.

2. For the pitcher rinser, I hoped to have mine on the edge (flip with grinder). This is so that I could maximize the amount of continuous countertop space.

3. Will you ever need a water kettle? Space is right, but u might be able to work if u get a smaller pitcher rinser.

4. If you can, run a couple new and dedicated electric circuits to the area.

5. Are you putting on a bar fridge underneath? If so, make sure the temperature can get cold enough for milk.

wachuko (original poster)

#3: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

I did not think about the kettle... duh! We have one of those Fellow pour over kettles... But that gets used in the kitchen counter area for my wife's tea... I don't use it at all... but I wonder... with me doing this she will want to bring that over along with the milk frother :? Might as well plan to have it all in one area... yeah, the Rocket will have to go over the other side where the wine cooler will be...

I do have a dedicated circuit in that area. So power is not a problem.

Man... I really did not think this through... did not think about a small fridge for milk... and dual purpose to also use it for beer 8)

Back to the drawing board... :lol:

Thank you!!!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

nguye569

#4: Post by nguye569 »

It definitely takes a lot of planning, so good thing you're thinking this through.

Here's my setup in case you want examples of setups not too different than yours. Everything has been spaced out a bit more since i took the pic and there is a DF64 on the way to replace the Encore. I'll likely have a new machine this summer, I'm just waiting to sell my old house and some of the profits will go towards a machine. I did the open shelving above to give me flexibility on machines (i want a spring lever, but GF want's an LMLM). I also opted for butcher block since I can easily cut and drill where needed.

Post a pic of your home espresso setup...

#5: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

This is the area... each receptacle you see there is an individual 20 amp circuit.

The idea is to have seating area in the middle and the stations on each side...

For now we took these and placed them there to have a place to sit down and have our coffee... we call it the temporary Bistro :lol:

It is a new house that we will not move to for a few years (we will retire here)... so we are taking our time to do the modifications we want... I am doing all the work...

Right now we only have the La Pavoni Professional in this house, and a manual grinder... plus the Verisimo machine...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#6: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

nguye569 wrote:It definitely takes a lot of planning, so good thing you're thinking this through.

Here's my setup in case you want examples of setups not too different than yours. Everything has been spaced out a bit more since i took the pic and there is a DF64 on the way to replace the Encore. I'll likely have a new machine this summer, I'm just waiting to sell my old house and some of the profits will go towards a machine. I did the open shelving above to give me flexibility on machines (i want a spring lever, but GF want's an LMLM). I also opted for butcher block since I can easily cut and drill where needed.

Post a pic of your home espresso setup...
Nice! Love the idea of the shelves... fridge below... oh yeah...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#7: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Current setup... These are the machines that will be on the new counter...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

lancealot

#8: Post by lancealot »

Just my $.02. I have a in-counter knock box and I love it. For my workflow, I like having it between the grinder and the machine. If I were you, would do this, from left to right: rinser, Londinium, in-counter knockbox, grinder.

You might not want to hear this, and it is probably unpopular here, but I think you should sell the Rocket. Aesthetically, seeing those two machines next to each other with different heights and depths of drip trays really makes me squirm. Commit to the lever.

#9: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

lancealot wrote:Just my $.02. I have a in-counter knock box and I love it. For my workflow, I like having it between the grinder and the machine. If I were you, would do this, from left to right: rinser, Londinium, in-counter knockbox, grinder...
I need to decide what I am going to do with the knock box. I bought one that sits under the grinder. Never use it. Always go to the regular Breville knock box that sits on the counter to the left of the cart you see in the photo... having one integrated into the countertop would probably be the way to go... but I have to make sure that it is the route I want to take... Would hate to lose that counter space to later realize that I do not like that setup. There is a commitment once I make that hole on the countertop...

I am going to have to role play the workflow that I want to decide. Because I see knocking the puck then flushing with the rinser...towel in front to finish cleaning and drying the portafilter... Those two (rinser and knock box) need to be close to each other to avoid the mess...

lancealot wrote:...You might not want to hear this, and it is probably unpopular here, but I think you should sell the Rocket. Aesthetics are important to me and seeing those two machines next to each other with different heights and depths of drip trays really stabs me in the eye. Commit to the lever.
I hear you. On a daily basis, I am only using the LR...

But when family visits, the Rocket is on 24x7... my sister-in-law and her husband drink more coffee, more often throughout the day, than us... I kid you not, when they are here it is 6 latte in the morning just for them... my wife takes advantage and has one as well, so do my in-laws (they have been with us for the last 17 years) then almost every other hour it is rinse and repeat... It would be almost midnight and my brother-in-law would be making a latte for himself...

So as much as I agree with you on aesthetics... I can't sell the Rocket. But more and more, I am thinking that it will have to live on the other counter...

Thank you for the comments... I will play around with different layouts and share as I get close to the final one.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

lancealot

#10: Post by lancealot »

I rinse my PF with water from the group. Keeps the PF hot. Can you do that with a lever? I am thinking to place the rinser on the left cause that is where the steam is. Work goes from right to left, you end up with an empty pitcher that needs rinsing on the left side of your bar. Good luck, excited to see what you decide on.

BTW, my in-laws are the same way. Machine gets a real workout!