Lance Hedrick and other coffee influencers - Page 7

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
espressoren

#61: Post by espressoren »

The truth is that there are always people who will be skeptical of "professional reviewers". It's healthy to have a bit of skepticism and not take everything as 100% factual but realize that there's always some bias and opinion mixed in. It's nothing personal.

That said, regardless of whether or not I completely "trust" a review, I still find the hands on look and teardowns useful. If some advantage can be demonstrated I'm happy to take that at face value. Really, for me the selfish viewer that's the part I care about. Show me how easy the burrs are to access, etc.

There's also an entertainment aspect, you're more likely to watch videos about things you don't care much about if the YouTuber is entertaining, but that's separate from the trustworthiness issue.

spressomon

#62: Post by spressomon »

Tough crowd. :lol:
No Espresso = Depresso

mcneely11

#63: Post by mcneely11 »

Appreciate the review and the in depth tear downs you do. This forum has no shortage of blowhards with zero credentials yet somehow you aren't qualified to offer your informed opinion based on actual testing? I'm sure it's discouraging to read but clearly most disagree as you've found an audience

ab

#64: Post by ab »

Ivyb82 wrote:I feel like you should take a more neutral approach to your reviews and ultimately let your your audience decide which grinder or latest hyped brew method is the best. There's no need to constantly proclaim that something is the best or better than a comparable item. I enjoy James Hoffmann's review, because even after he gives his honest and I'm assuming mostly unbiased opinion, he leaves it up to the viewer to decide for themselves. The main takeaway from this most recent review, seems to be to completely disregard the Fellow Ode and purchase the Timemore.
I dislike this about Hoffman. I don't watch videos for 20 minutes to then have to spend additional hours, and potentially wasted money, on something.

This is why I personally like Lance's videos. I'd rather know someone hates or likes the output then saying "and now let's turn the conversation to you". Why would I want to participate in a conversation that I don't have the equipment to begin with?

When people do that, I'm simply left with even more questions than I started out.

monkeyodeath

#65: Post by monkeyodeath »

I dislike this about Hoffman. I don't watch videos for 20 minutes to then have to spend additional hours, and potentially wasted money, on something.
Hoffman is plenty opinionated about workflow and appearance and even price, but he generally avoids definitive statements when it comes to whether or not something tastes good. Which is pretty understandable, considering that it's the most subjective and personal part of the coffee experience, and I enjoy that about his reviews.

What I really appreciate about Lance (please keep doing it!) is that he's straight-up about the taste profile he prefers -- (clarity, very low bitterness, among other things). It's really useful information and I wish more reviewers did this. Because it allows you to better translate what his review means to you.

Blernsball

#66: Post by Blernsball »

What you definitely need to do is follow all the advice that people posted in this thread about how to improve your youtube channel. Especially the stuff that contradicts the other stuff.

Also, if you could be a purely objective reviewer while also having subjective opinions that match my pre-conceived notions that would help me out a lot.

In all seriousness Lance, don't get 'one guy'd'. You have a fun channel.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#67: Post by JB90068 »

I think for those of us who like watching Lance's videos he offers an excellent service. Professionally he has the chops and from what I can tell, his business practices are above reproach. I like that he spends a lengthy amount of time using each product before he does his review and in the case of his Vostok video he was upfront about his limited time constraints. As a daily EG-1 user, I didn't think I would learn anything from his review. I was wrong an in fact and gained new knowledge about the burr sets available. Time well spent and enjoyable to watch. Lance and Hoffman are now the only two coffee vlogers I look forward to watching and there are a few that I'll avoid like covid.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

p4lxrich

#68: Post by p4lxrich »

ab wrote:I dislike this about Hoffman. I don't watch videos for 20 minutes to then have to spend additional hours, and potentially wasted money, on something.

This is why I personally like Lance's videos. I'd rather know someone hates or likes the output then saying "and now let's turn the conversation to you". Why would I want to participate in a conversation that I don't have the equipment to begin with?

When people do that, I'm simply left with even more questions than I started out.
yep. i agree with this. i hate watching a 10-20 review then tells me no opinion. either a. someone gave it to you or b. you're somehow affiliated. just give me an opinion and say that.

mcneely11

#69: Post by mcneely11 »

Deleted

doug
Supporter ♡

#70: Post by doug »

It was Mr. Hedrick's DF83 review that led me to switch to that grinder, and away from my NZ (already passed on to another home-barista community member).

I wanted more complexity, more flavor, but without completely giving up on the mouth feel of the NZ. That YouTube review gave me precisely the kind of information I was looking for, and matched my own impressions once the grinder arrived. So if he does a detailed comparison of the espresso taste from SSP HU burrs against several alternatives for the DF83 in a few months, I'll feel confident in that comparison to guide my choice as well.

Appreciative.