La Marzocco portafilter "lip"?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
OK31
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by OK31 »

So this may be a newbie question that I'm embarrassed to ask but on the bottom of my new LM portafilter there is a "lip" in the front underside that I always thought was to get a better tamp. The problem is my counter edges are not square so that's a moot point and though I have solutions I just wanted to make sure that's actually what that section is for. Guessing on the stock one included since the spouts are breakaway it's not ideal to tamp on but having a hard time then understanding the 15degree handle angle.

gscace

#2: Post by gscace replying to OK31 »

It's so you can tamp on the edge of the counter without having the spouts contact the counter. Tamping against the spouts is hard on the spouts and not a sanitary practice. The angle on the portafilter handle is to help prevent repetitive use injuries - not that much of an issue for home users, but a big issue for working baristas.
-Greg

Advertisement
OK31 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by OK31 (original poster) »

gscace wrote:It's so you can tamp on the edge of the counter without having the spouts contact the counter. Tamping against the spouts is hard on the spouts and not a sanitary practice. The angle on the portafilter handle is to help prevent repetitive use injuries - not that much of an issue for home users, but a big issue for working baristas.
-Greg
Thanks very much for confirming, I figured as much especially with the breakaway spouts. I just have to readjust to that from the other PF I used to have with the BDB.