Knock box woes.

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Kaffee Bitte

#1: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I presently have a cafelat knock box (I believe) and it's functional but also annoying when knocking pucks as it often launches part of the puck out of the box and onto my floor. I want to retire this box for everything but travel times.

I have been looking at under grinder style knock boxes and thinking of using as a base for one of my LPs. Aside from the often sited mold issues which I can avoid fairly easily any other reason it's a bad idea?
Added height makes harder to pull?

Worse comes to worse I will probably just get a larger square knock box like I use at work.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

klee11mtl

#2: Post by klee11mtl »

Don't have any experience with the pull out boxes but I use this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QTCXTK5/
If that works with your setup I can say it is effective for the specific issue you describe.

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#3: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

That might work. Knock bar is the front side right? I like the knock bar in the center of mine it just causes this when I oops. The main reason though is the round sides being too close with no high sides. I know square boxes will not have this issue as much but they will soak up more counter space which I can live with if I need too. I just bought a kitchen island specifically for my gear to fit and though it does have a good whack of room left it's nice having that for prep and what not. Just thought I can kill two birds with one stone getting the drawer style.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

These are great: https://thecoffeeknockdrawercompany.com ... rol-range/ For the USA, sales are probably through https://idrinkcoffee.com/pages/search-r ... ffee+knock which is where I got mine. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. Way over-built compared to the other knock drawers that I have.

I also have the La Pavoni machine+grinder base which has an integral knockbox drawer, but I wouldn't recommend the drawer be used as a knockbox as it is plastic and feels quite flimsy - I just use the drawer to hold baskets, etc. (The base is a good place to hide a PID.)

For height, I have most of my machines on stands or drawers. As far as I am concerned, the closer the lever's pivot point is to one's shoulder joint, the better.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#5: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

Exactly my thoughts on the extra height addition. Every counter that I have used it on that was bar height was always easier to pull. I bought this island because it was actually a bit above "counter height". But still it isn't quite bar height, so a few more inches can't hurt.

Those were pretty much exactly the ones I have been eyeing for a few months now. I am fine with the cost as they seem like buy for life quality. I haven't actually done the measurements for fit but assuming the larger size is the way to go. Or will they fit well in the mid size?
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

#6: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Grounds control 5 is right within the fit range but close to edges probably. So the grounds control 1 would probably be best for stability. It also is almost four inches added height whereas the mid size is only 3ish.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing replying to Kaffee Bitte »

I have the GC1. I'll put the Pavoni on it when I get home and post a pic.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

Note this is a gen 1; I don't know if the later bases have a different-sized footprint. FWIW, the drawer is thick steel. It won't flex under the force of a pull.

Note the base covers some of the vent slots, even with the machine all the way rearwards:

#9: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Sweet. Yes that looks like it will work nicely. I figured that the vents might be under the front a bit but that's less a concern to me.
I don't think the LP base dimensions have changed much over the generations. And even if the millenniums are bigger it won't matter much since there is some room to play

Thanks for the pics! Exactly what I was hoping for.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

NicaDon

#10: Post by NicaDon »

baldheadracing wrote:Note this is a gen 1
Here I was looking for ideas on using a big block piston, maybe from a Mopar 440 for a knock box and seeing if anyone had done it. Then I saw your La Pavoni and did a major double take as I'd never seen one painted the same color. Beautiful drip tray grid you have, from where?

LMWDP #730