Kidney function and caffeine clearance - if you know your genotype - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jpender

#11: Post by jpender »

That's what I was wondering, whether tolerance clouds the issue. I'm not worried but if it were inexpensive and private I would get the test just to see. Unfortunately 23andme isn't that easy to do anonymously.

Oh well... maybe I'll have another cup?

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

An example of how the findings get summarized in the popular press. Despite the title, they did interview the lead researcher:
After canceling booze, Canada is now coming for your coffee
By Alex Mitchell
February 16, 2023 | 12:13pm

... "Often, when I give a talk, someone will say, 'oh, I'm definitely a slow metabolizer because if I drink a cup of coffee in the afternoon it keeps me up at night,' " El-Sohemy said. "But there's currently no link in terms of those types of physiological responses to caffeine and speed of metabolism."
- https://nypost.com/2023/02/16/after-can ... offee/amp/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

espressoren

#13: Post by espressoren »

Yeah, I was going to say that I think the issue of whether a certain amount of coffee makes you jittery is not the same as whether you clear the caffeine in three hours or six. That's just my hunch though.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Brewzologist »

baldheadracing wrote:An example of how the findings get summarized in the popular press. Despite the title, they did interview the lead researcher:
Back in the day, the only people who read research studies were other researchers who used them to make incremental advances in their field. They understood that seminal works were rare, and that most studies simply pointed in the direction where more research was needed. Sadly, the media (and public) have 'discovered' research studies, where they often pull a few sentences out of context and publish them as absolutes. No wonder many don't trust science anymore given the fatigue from the ping-pong'ing in the press and social media every time a new study comes out. :?

EDIT: This is just a crabby old-guy rant and nothing toward you Craig.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by LBIespresso »

espressoren wrote:Yeah, I was going to say that I think the issue of whether a certain amount of coffee makes you jittery is not the same as whether you clear the caffeine in three hours or six. That's just my hunch though.
For whatever it's worth, the amount of caffeine that will ruin my sleep is small (after 3pm) whereas the amount of caffeine needed to make me feel jittery is quite large.
LMWDP #580

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Pressino »

I agree with Craig (in post #10) who wondered whether this study applies to non-hypertensive folks. It's well known that kidney failure is associated with hypertension. Caffeine can cause hypertension. It's easy to test your BP, and if it's normal you probably don't need to worry about your cytochrome genotype since so far as we know hypertension is far more likely to damage your kidneys.

edit to last sentence above: i.e. "hypertension is far more likely than caffeine to damage your kidneys."

Team HB

#17: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Brewzologist wrote:EDIT: This is just a crabby old-guy rant and nothing toward you Craig.
No worries, that didn't even occur to me :D.

Team HB

#18: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

If you know if you are a fast metabolizer of caffeine or not, then this is a decent summary of current research, 7:11 long; skip to 3:49 to get to:

tl;dw: some of the health benefits of coffee are only for fast metabolizers. Slow metabolizers have adverse affects.

Again, having the genes of a fast metabolizer of caffeine does not necessarily imply how caffeine affects you in terms of keeping awake, jitters, etc.

jpender

#19: Post by jpender »

Great collection of studies in that video. Very interesting and also entertaining.

I guess I'll keep drinking coffee.

Capuchin Monk

#20: Post by Capuchin Monk »

baldheadracing wrote:Again, having the genes of a fast metabolizer of caffeine does not necessarily imply how caffeine affects you in terms of keeping awake, jitters, etc.
But caffeine causes awake and jitters. If the body gets rid of caffeine (faster than some), those two effects are gotten rid of too, no? :?