James Hoffman: Stop Swirling your Espresso - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#11: Post by mivanitsky »

I stir, with the tiny little spoons from EPNW. Highly recommended.

https://www.espressoparts.com/demitasse ... -stainless

Spitz.me

#12: Post by Spitz.me »

I'm with Sam here. I like the layers and the mouthfeel in that way. I also have been using cappuccino and latte cups for espresso for a couple years now. Better heatsinks with more space to swirl and also smell while tasting/drinking. I think the drinks are always better, faster in a larger vessel than in a standard espresso cup.

I used to stir most of the time when I was using espresso cups just because swirling wasn't easy.
LMWDP #670

Dpablo

#13: Post by Dpablo »

Stirred today and it was the first time I've enjoyed an espresso in a very long time. Thank you, Mr. Hoffman!

mohninme

#14: Post by mohninme »

sweaner wrote:Counterclockwise swirl?
Naturally... Is that weird..? :|
Michael

mohninme

#15: Post by mohninme »

Spitz.me wrote:I also have been using cappuccino and latte cups for espresso for a couple years now. Better heatsinks with more space to swirl and also smell while tasting/drinking.
This is where I am at. I use a 160ml size with a small rounded bottom. James spoke of red wine and aroma release in his video. I really enjoy the aroma release of the espresso when it's swirled. When I am dialling in a new bean this can be an indicator that I am getting close, however it does not always mean it's great in the mouth. I think the aroma really adds to the taste and the overall experience. I haven't yet done a side by side comparison.
Michael

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Moxiechef »

sweaner wrote:Counterclockwise swirl?

https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/5abd5162-1942 ... 0d875f423b
That depends on if you're north or south of the equator!! :)

bluesman

#17: Post by bluesman »

samuellaw178 wrote:I do like the layered effect in my espresso
I do too, Sam. But after thinking about JH's admonition and paying attention to my own shots today, I realized that I'm mixing layers on the fly. I've always sipped with my upper lip very close to the rim, which lets some of the liquid beneath the crema flow along with some of the crema. The crema lasts at least halfway through the shot this way, so I'm obviously getting it bit by bit, sip by sip. I took a shot with mouth further open and the crema went down in the first sip - so I think my theory has legs. The "flow dynamics" of cappuccino are the same - we get a bit of foam along with some of the coffee beneath it in each sip.

Stirring does even out the flavor, which seems fine if you're going to throw it back like the Milanese - but I sit down and relax with my 'spro like the tourist peasant I am :D

SiempreTuParceroMike

#18: Post by SiempreTuParceroMike »

Moxiechef wrote:That depends on if you're north or south of the equator!! :)
Haha, yes! Glad someone went there.

SiempreTuParceroMike

#19: Post by SiempreTuParceroMike »

IMAWriter wrote:Yep, +1000.
How about another +1000? I stirred for the first time (no flaming, please, I'm being forthright) a few days ago and BAM - big difference.