Is there a new disconnect between coffee hobbyists and professionals? - Page 12

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
farmroast

#111: Post by farmroast »

I think we're drifting off topic again. Even though I did find my pro/am chat with Vince most interesting.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Ken Fox

#112: Post by Ken Fox »

farmroast wrote:I think we're drifting off topic again. Even though I did find my chat with Vince most interesting.
Ed,

If you could summarize what is exactly the topic in this thread, legions of your fellow Home Baristas would be forever grateful.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

farmroast

#113: Post by farmroast replying to Ken Fox »

SCAA bylaws:
(c) TO ESTABLISH A COMMON FORUM by:
(I) creating and promoting sound business relations, mutual understanding, and good will among all
engaged in any part of the specialty coffee industry.
(2) providing a time and place to meet for mutual exchange of information regarding ideas and
problems
I consider the admin. and many of the members of our amateur forums/buying clubs as an "engaged" part of the specialty coffee industry. Different than just consumer/customers. For me, this means as we are a somewhat organized part of the "engaged" we should be given the opportunity to organize under the "engaged" tent of the SCAA. To establish a sanctioned membership category(as we don't qualify under existing categories) and some rights under (c)2 at least at the annual expo. and with leadership.

Ken Fox

#114: Post by Ken Fox »

farmroast wrote:SCAA bylaws:
(c) TO ESTABLISH A COMMON FORUM by:
(I) creating and promoting sound business relations, mutual understanding, and good will among all
engaged in any part of the specialty coffee industry.
(2) providing a time and place to meet for mutual exchange of information regarding ideas and
problems
I consider the admin. and many of the members of our amateur forums/buying clubs as an "engaged" part of the specialty coffee industry. Different than just consumer/customers. For me, this means as we are a somewhat organized part of the "engaged" we should be given the opportunity to organize under the "engaged" tent of the SCAA. To establish a sanctioned membership category and some rights under (c)2 at least at the annual expo.
Hi Ed,

My opinion is that as a trade organization supported by its membership and sponsors, that the SCAA has no obligation whatsoever to the general public or even to "coffee lovers," other than to avoid encouraging their stakeholders to do things harmful to the general well-being. Similarly, just because I enjoy working with computers and photography, their respective dues-supported trade associations have no obligations to me.

Any coffee consumer who would be interested in paying the regular SCAA dues, which I am sure would be accepted, could pay the dues and get what any other dues-paying member receives. I just do not buy the idea that the SCAA owes us anything at all. The fact that they allow amateurs to even attend their trade shows for a nominal fee is incredibly generous in and of itself.

None of this precludes members of the professional coffee community from engaging enthusiastic amateurs at whatever level they choose. Many will do so, out of a combination of genuine interest, plus self-serving motivations such as free advertising and promotion from amateurs on forums such as this and other possible venues as well.

A benefit of NOT being pandered to by the coffee professionals' trade association, is that it gives us amateurs some distance from those who would perhaps seek to use us for promoting their own self-interests. Anyone who has ever received free merchandise or special treatment from a commercial company knows all-too-well the effect that being beholden has on one's exercise of free speech.

Peace.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

Marshall

#115: Post by Marshall »

farmroast wrote:For me, this means as we are a somewhat organized part of the "engaged" we should be given the opportunity to organize under the "engaged" tent of the SCAA. To establish a sanctioned membership category(as we don't qualify under existing categories) and some rights under (c)2 at least at the annual expo. and with leadership.
Ed,

Look at this from the viewpoint of the current membership, who are mostly paying $405 a year and up and expect their trade organization to serve their needs.

You haven't said a word about how having these new members would benefit the organization and its current membership, but you are already analyzing the bylaws and demanding your rights. I don't make policy at SCAA, but, if I were a Board or committee member reading this thread from the beginning, I would find a lot that would repel me and not much to encourage me to move in the direction you suggest.
Marshall
Los Angeles

farmroast

#116: Post by farmroast »

farmroast wrote:I too consider it a win-win but I've never been really sure whether the industry/SCAA really would like to see more of this.
Marshall wrote:Of course it does. But, it's up to each business owner to decide if it's right for them.
If this is true that there are some scaa members that could have a Win-Win with engaged amateurs. Though the determined percentage that could benefit wasn't mentioned and would matter. Then I would like to hear more of how specifically we can be a win for some members? Then we could put some effort into ideas that could accomplish various win-wins. If we have been underutilized by scaa members then we need to keep talking.
If there is not enough potential of significant added value by our engaged segment then by general coffee lovers then the bylaws mention was irrelevant and I would agree to strike it from the record..