Is There A Link To High Blood Pressure And Caffeine? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
BodieZoffa

#11: Post by BodieZoffa »

Every single person will have varying reactions to caffeine. My average morning is 5 doubles straight in a 2-3 hr. timeframe and typical BP reading after that is 120s/70s with a resting pulse in upper 60s. Often I will also have an energy drink (240 mg caffeine) later on if I need that boost. Sometimes even two energy drinks and periodically I'm approaching 1 gram of caffeine daily within a 5-6 hr. timeframe with no ill effect whatsoever. Never even feel energized, it just sorta maintains what energy I do have left. I use a quality BP monitor and have checked it against manual/costly equipment readings done by my PCP and it has always been quite close to their readings consistently. I will mention that I've also been observed by a neurologist, had lots of scans, etc. for a serious health complication and my caffeine intake that I'm simply not willing to drop has never been a cause for concern even by them, so that works for me. I do agree that it's generally not a great idea to ask online regarding some health concerns, but have indeed came across more trusting real world experience from those that suffer with similar issues than actually asking most doctors as you tend to get a generic medical explanation that often does nothing positive.

CathyWeeks

#12: Post by CathyWeeks »

Like everyone, I'd be hesitant to take anything said by a stranger on the internet without a LARGE grain (or two, or three) of salt. Find a doctor you trust, then work with them.

BUT I'll tell you my experience. My father-in-law had a massive heart attack last spring - two arteries 100% blocked, others less so. They got him into surgery super fast, and he's doing fine. He was told to lose weight (he's perhaps 20 pounds overweight), severely restrict his salt, and to stop drinking (to more easily restrict his calories, not because of the alcohol). But he's still having his morning cup of coffee (with caffeine). He's just not taking it with cream anymore.

So, my guess is that taken in moderation, it's probably fine, depending on your wife's specific variables. But check with a doctor you trust because I'm a technical writer, NOT a medical professional.

JB90068 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by JB90068 (original poster) »

Bodie and Cathy - thank you.

What I get from other peoples real world experiences is information that allows us to ask more informed questions when speaking with the doctors. I've found that my wife and I are our own best medical advocates and we try not to be too blind when we are dealing with a health issue. So I appreciate you voicing what you know.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

AZRich

#14: Post by AZRich »

JB90068 wrote:Just got a heads up from my wife's doctor that her blood pressure is too high. He told her to stop all caffeine intake. She only drinks one 36 gr cappuccino in the morning. Could she still have her morning cappuccino, if I switch her to decaf?
Get a good BP meter and use it a few times/day for several weeks. There is what's known as the "white coat syndrome" which may or may not be giving the high reading at the Dr office. Regardless, I suspect that if she measured her BP for a week off caffeine, and then a week again w/coffee that the numbers would likely be about the same. (There are better ways to fix high BP than pills but this is not the place to discuss that.)
regards, Rich

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Pressino »

JB90068 wrote:... IMHO - since this is such a large forum with a diverse readership, there maybe others that have found themselves in a similar position and can offer some perspective. For the time being, she and I both feel that it is prudent to follow her doctors advice, but not do so blindly.
I think it's important for you and your wife to discuss the advice you were given to stop drinking coffee (and I guess tea and other dietary sources of caffeine). People are different and very few blanket medical proscriptions are certain to apply to everyone (like your doctor telling you to not smoke, snort cocaine, or shoot speed...). The advice to give up all coffee is pretty harsh, but your doctor may loosen it a bit after you discuss it. Hypertension covers a broad category of disease, as regards cause, severity,and complications. Your doctor is the one who is (or should be) in the best position to know your wife's health and provide good medical care.

I'm sure there are plenty of other physicians who read and post on these HB forums, and I'd guess that most would be willing to share general medical opinions regarding coffee (in fact I did so in the Knockbox forum recently) but very reluctant to give specific medical advice, especially for someone who is already under another physician's care. :(