Is CoffeeGeek Dead? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
robin416

Postby robin416 » Jan 08, 2019, 5:39 pm

I must have crossed my eyes wrong I couldn't find that info.

As an admin on another site, we post a notice on the forum to announce that the site is going to be down and why. I don't spend as much time on CG but I don't remember seeing any notice there on Saturday that they would be down for a few days.

Nunas

Postby Nunas » Jan 08, 2019, 7:08 pm

Thanks guys! Glad to hear it isn't something wrong at my end, and that it is probably temporary.

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Jan 08, 2019, 8:25 pm

Presently there is no DNS entry for the site. This is not unusual when a site is physically moved to a new host. This usualy resolves in 24 hours or so.

Presently = time/date of this post.

HB
Admin

Postby HB » Jan 08, 2019, 8:47 pm

OldNuc wrote:Presently there is no DNS entry for the site. This is not unusual when a site is physically moved to a new host.

There are well-documented methods of avoiding downtime:

Cloudflare's DNS server makes this a trivial exercise. Define two A records, one for the "old" server and another for the "new" one. Requests will be served in a round-robin fashion. If you want to put more load on one server versus another, add multiple A records for the one you want to serve more requests. When I do this for HB, I make the "old" server read-only and prevent new logins so there's no need to resync the databases (assuming the database server is being migrated too).

Visitors cannot tell which server served their request. Of course, if the old server is denying logins, members who wish to post may notice, but they're a small subset of the site visitors. If I really mess up (e.g., I discover a serious bug in the new server post-switch), it's not hard to switch back, especially if you have both servers use a common database server.

[Apologies for the geek-speak!]
Dan Kehn

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Jan 08, 2019, 9:13 pm

Doing this right/easy sometimes requires advanced knowledge of the deep dark inner workings of the innertubes. :wink:

chipman

Postby chipman » Jan 08, 2019, 9:15 pm

Where is Al Gore when we really need him?

HB
Admin

Postby HB » Jan 08, 2019, 9:48 pm

OldNuc wrote:Doing this right/easy sometimes requires advanced knowledge...

It's not hard if you're willing to read an article, watch a video, or even post a question in Stack Overflow. Not to belabor the point, but moving from one host to another is "webmaster 101" level of difficulty; getting it right is worth the effort.

Sorry, kind of hit a nerve since I do this for a living and know that it's just not that hard. Anyway, this is way off-topic, so I'll close this thread. Those who are interested in CoffeeGeek status are invited to check their Twitter feed (@CoffeeGeek).
Dan Kehn