Impressions of an absolute newbie w/ espresso

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Clay

#1: Post by Clay »

So I did my shopping and research and bought a machine. All of the equipment arrived and the ancillary supplies. Bluntly the machine has been here since Tuesday, but I didn't want to try and wing it and waited until I could read through the manual and do things right.

I ran over a gallon of water through the machine just playing with the controls. Then I had to set up the grinder which took longer than I first anticipated but the journey was worth it.

A couple of things that surprised me that I haven't ran across in my two plus months doing research.

The portafilter was more difficult to get into the brew head than I imagined on my new machine. I did find a nice video by Gail at Seattle Coffee on the reason for this: New gasket that will compress over time and become easier. But this challenge was a shocker to me. I had not seen a single video talking about this prior to my struggles with the new machine. Most videos that I see, the barista puts the portafilter into the brew head like they could do it in their sleep. My experience is a two handed, bent over upside down trying to find the right spot, but also the angle of the "handshake" between the two parts was not intuitive for ME. It is definitely a learned, educated process.

Setting up the grinder was also interesting in that how small of a change had drastic consequences on the shot time. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it only seems like I can squeeze 16.5 grams of coffee in my double basket. I thought that I would dose 18 grams when I started today. My first guess on my grinder looked like powdered sugar to me, so I thought it was too fine. I upped it until it was closer to granulated sugar or salt and then my first shot pulled 2 oz in 14 seconds. Definitely too course, so I turned it back toward fine and after 30 seconds pulled about 1/4 of an ounce and the first drips came out at about 15 seconds. Way too fine.

The other mistake I did was to change coffee blends in the middle of setting up the grinder. I had a Kona blend that I had for drip and wanted to use it up before I switched over to my espresso blend. That was a mistake, just set it up with the coffee that you want in the end. I pulled shots from 14 seconds to 60 seconds for 2 ounces. I drank most of it just to get experience. Note: I still have a caffeine buzz, I emptied the JoeFrex knock box twice and drank WAY TOO MUCH espresso in the shot development phase.

Finally was able to get a decent shot that pulled 2 oz at 28 seconds. It was better than anything that I have drank at the local shops.

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the help. Now that the equipment is chosen, I have to develop myself much better in my techniques. I'm enjoying the ride. Thanks again.

rdenotter

#2: Post by rdenotter »

What machine and grinder did you buy?

Clay (original poster)

#3: Post by Clay (original poster) »

If you look under my name on the right hand side of the screen you can see that I have an ECM Synchronika and a Ceado E6X grinder.

A follow up note from this morning. The portafilter is already easier to get into the machine. I left the portafilter attached to the brewhead all day and I think that it positioned the new gasket a little better on the brand new machine. My wife could even attach the portafilter tonight and this morning she could not.

Not sure if everyone else had that experience with a new machine and portafilter fit, but this morning was a little frustrating. Wanted to share that with others who might be new and buying a brand new machine.

Note: I have drank way too many espresso shots today. Had two after dinner.

IPW20X

#4: Post by IPW20X »

It's a fun journey. One thing I think is worthwhile is the Barista Hustle Advanced Coffee Course online. It's $150 well spent IMHO.

Let's see a few photos of this set up and some shots!

Clay (original poster)

#5: Post by Clay (original poster) »

Another follow up on the portafilter. I called WLL this morning after I had more problems this morning inserting the portafilter. Come to find out, inside of the E61 group head, the screen with the gasket was not fully seated. I could physically see the gasket swoop down and have less clearance on one side of the E61. I removed the screen and the gasket and repositioned. It's still is not right, but better. They said to use some lubricant. The tech line said to use some Vaseline. This is going to sound funny, but I also have a hobby where I keep fish, koi in particular. I have the following lubricant:
This nontoxic, PTFE-based, waterproof lubricant is for wet or dry environments. White, light-bodied, with a temperature range from 0 to 425°F. It prevents rust and is compatible with most metals, rubbers and plastics. USDA H1-rated to be environmentally safe and corrosion-free. Coat O-rings, gaskets and bearings before reassembly. 5-oz tube.
Magic Lube® is a registered trademark of Aladdin Equipment Co

So I think that I am going to be using the USDA Magic Lube instead of the petroleum based Vaseline.

I'm terrible with pictures and computers. I have taken a few shots but haven't uploaded any of them off of my phone. I've even shot some video. I'll try and get some photos up soon, just not tonight.

Balthazar_B

#6: Post by Balthazar_B »

Rick, word to the wise: Use nothing but food-grade stuff on your machine. That includes lubricants, sealers, everything. Look for proper NSF certifications.

Also not a bad time to read up in the Water forum on best practices with water treatment. A happy long-term relationship with a machine depends on not abusing it with water that will scale up its innards before you know it. Good water tastes good too, and makes better coffee.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Laser

#7: Post by Laser »

I purchased a Pro 700 last week, and had Exactly the same screen/gasket issue.

The machine arrived with both not seated correctly. I could not get the portafilter without immense force. I pulled out the gasket and screen, but could not force them back up.

I ordered some Molykote to lubricate the gasket, and then was able to successfully install. My portafilter now works as expected, smoothly.

I struggle to see how the gasket / portafilter if properly installed would loosen during shipping (they are up there very tight).

IPW20X

#8: Post by IPW20X »

RyanJE

#9: Post by RyanJE »

You guys need a thinner gasket. Get one that's 0.5mm thinner. better yet change to the silicone ones too they are way easier to get it and out. No lube needed.

Suppliers and manufactures fail to notice that all e61 gaskets aren't the same size even tho they say e61. I experienced this over years of e61 ownership.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Mggray87

#10: Post by Mggray87 »

Let's see pictures or that synchronika!