Impressions of an absolute newbie w/ espresso - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Laser

#11: Post by Laser »

IPW20X wrote:This is the stuff to use.

https://clivecoffee.com/products/dow-11 ... -lubricant

That is what I ended up ordering and successfully installed the gasket.

Is it common for new machines to come with gasket/screen not installed correctly? Seems a really high coincidence that 2 of us experienced the same issue this month, and last week while I was googling solutions I could not find much online relating to new machines.

IPW20X

#12: Post by IPW20X »

I was reading somewhere that silicone gaskets are better than rubber in terms of longevity and leaks. Any experience?

Balthazar_B

#13: Post by Balthazar_B replying to IPW20X »

I've used both. Some rubber gaskets will last a long time, others not so much (over time they harden and become brittle). The silicone gaskets from Cafelat are of excellent quality and long-lasting, and they have a good selection for 58mm E61 and spring lever machines.
- John

LMWDP # 577

SiempreTuParceroMike

#14: Post by SiempreTuParceroMike »

Welcome to our world! I say *our* with a bit of undeserved arrogance, as I consider myself a newbie, too, despite having a year of experience or so under my belt. But I also say it warmly because we all clearly love this espresso thing :D

I did a much better job replacing/reseating my gasket the second time around on my Unica. We learn mostly by experience, I'm sure, even though we are lucky to have some truly valuable advice from these forums. It makes me think of home improvement workers who have that special touch when they fit in a window, cut moulding, etc., stemming from years of practice.

I also think it's cool/wise you started off with a higher level grinder than I did. I still actually use my Rocky but am finally going to upgrade very soon to a similarly-priced grinder to your Ceado.

Best,
Mike

Clay (original poster)

#15: Post by Clay (original poster) »

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I'll buy the right lube soon. Just returned from CO for my Daughter's wedding yesterday. My wife and I did miss our Synchronika while we were gone. We went to Starbucks and I pull better shots at home after just a few short days than they do. Those bean to cup machines they use are crazy fast though.

I didn't forgot about posting some pictures. I'll have some up by Friday but right now still have luggage that needs unpacking and many other things that are on the top of the list now that were pushed back until after the wedding.

Clay (original poster)

#16: Post by Clay (original poster) »

RyanJE wrote:You guys need a thinner gasket. Get one that's 0.5mm thinner. better yet change to the silicone ones too they are way easier to get it and out. No lube needed.

Suppliers and manufactures fail to notice that all e61 gaskets aren't the same size even tho they say e61. I experienced this over years of e61 ownership.
On the thinner gasket, I see where Clive offers one that is thinner. Would a thinner gasket move the E61 portafilter closer to the screen head thereby reducing the amount of coffee that you can put in your portafilter?

IPW20X per your request:

RyanJE

#17: Post by RyanJE »

Clay wrote:On the thinner gasket, I see where Clive offers one that is thinner. Would a thinner gasket move the E61 portafilter closer to the screen head thereby reducing the amount of coffee that you can put in your portafilter?

IPW20X per your request:

<image>
I am not quite certain? I used the silicone ones on my e61s and they worked great! It was certainly a lot easier to get them in and out.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....