Illy Art cups - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Marcelnl (original poster)

#11: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

SandraF wrote:Happy Birthday! Congratulations on your new artsy cups. Where are you located (where is museum)? Thanks.
Thanks ! Netherlands, the museum is De Pont in Tilburg, it's a smaller museum but with a great collection, too sad it's been closed for months now.
LMWDP #483

GC7

#12: Post by GC7 »

Beautiful and elegant. I hope you will be using them.

I love my Illy cups. i have 2004 numbered pen series and some Chia 1997 dancers and the faces series. I use them daily and have enjoyed them for years.

KCcoffeegeek

#13: Post by KCcoffeegeek »

As a collector of fountain pens and pens in general in addition to this coffee hobby (lifestyle, more like it), I have lusted after the Pen Test set forever. Finally stumbled upon a listing for 5 of the 6 cups (1 is missing from the set) with their saucers for under $50, which was a steal. I've usually seen these priced at $150 or well above. I love the set, it was worth waiting for, for sure! The prices on these Illy cups is insane, though. The alien cups designed by what's-his-face are the next ones I'd like to try to get. Based on my experience, I may need to be patient and looking for MANY years!

Nice set of cups, OP. I have not seen that one before!

GC7

#14: Post by GC7 »

KCcoffeegeek wrote: I have lusted after the Pen Test set forever. Finally stumbled upon a listing for 5 of the 6 cups (1 is missing from the set) with their saucers for under $50, which was a steal. I've usually seen these priced at $150 or well above. I love the set, it was worth waiting for, for sure! The prices on these Illy cups is insane, though.
Interesting. I got mine over 10 years ago and like you there were only 5 of the 6 cups. I did get the collectors box and the owner sold it to me at a great price insisting that I use them rather than collect and sell at a profit. Between us we probably have the full set.

KCcoffeegeek

#15: Post by KCcoffeegeek »

I think the one I am missing is the one in the front of this photo. I have the saucer, though. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -219055010

#16: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

If pens on cups are anything like pens there is at least one bound to go missing :wink:
LMWDP #483

KCcoffeegeek

#17: Post by KCcoffeegeek replying to Marcelnl »

Very true. Interestingly, though, when you start spending $100+ on a pen they tend to get MUCH harder to lose! Sort of the opposite of the sunglasses effect, which is you'll never lose a $5 pair of sunglasses, but the second you spend $300 on some really nice ones they're gone. LOL

#18: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) replying to KCcoffeegeek »

Yeah I used that effect many many years ago working in health care, the cheap pens went like crazy but my more expensive pen stayed with me for many years. I have to say it also works for me with sunglasses!
LMWDP #483

PeetsFan

#19: Post by PeetsFan »

Espressoman007 wrote:Hi,
I couldn't resist and had to comment on this one, because it's related to my profession. I like Anish a lot!!! I think he is a fabulous sculptor (artist). But I am sorry, you can't call these cups art cups (they are in the category called applied art, it's more related to craft than actual art) just because they are made by an artist, even a great one.
I would love to have some work by Anish too, and it is a wonderful gift, but they are not art cups, unless they are some part of a bigger concept, which I don't believe they are (they are obviously made for Illy).
They are more like souvenirs, but who wouldn't like a souvenir made by Beuys, Kiefer or Baselitz ;)
Anyways, congratulations on a great gift!

Cheers!
Thank heavens we have someone here who can tell us what is and isn't art! How would we otherwise know?

The Mona Lisa isn't art, unless you consider a wall decoration "art."

wachuko

#20: Post by wachuko »

Marcelnl wrote:Today I got gifted (Birthday boy)with two Illy Art cups by Anish Kapoor, and artist I like a lot (we happen to have a museum in town with a fair bit of work by him)
Beautiful cups.

I have a few as well... unfortunately, lost the one I loved the most when my brother-in-law organized my espresso cart... he accidentally broke a few cups. Being an old Illy cup, I can't no longer find it.
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654