If you want a(nother) coffee book - Coffee Purist (Kickstarter)

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

I backed the Coffee Purist: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... escription
"You should write a book."

People have been telling me that for years. And I didn't totally disagree, but writing a book seemed like a Pheidippidean task. One beyond my endurance, beyond my attention span, maybe beyond my abilities. But as we approach the 20th anniversary of The DoubleShot, I've started looking back over my career and thinking about all the crazy and remarkable things that have happened. I've grown and matured and found a deeper well of patience and a team that supports what I do. I've found a rhythm to life, and it has allowed me to stop and think for once, not about what I should be doing, but about what happened and how I got here.

And so I've written. I've written things that no one knows about. I've written things I'd forgotten about. I've never been a big talker (well, I talk big but I don't talk a lot usually), and I don't particularly enjoy telling people about things I've done. "How was your trip?" Ugh. Well, it's all in there. I dug deep. I went back to the beginning, even earlier, and I explained my thoughts, my experiences, my perspective. I'm fortunate that I started journaling in my early 20s and have filled up nearly 30 diaries with a bazillion words describing everything from the mundane day to my wildest dreams. So I had that to reference when trying to recall how or when something happened.

But it's more than the story of my coffee career. This is a book that will tell you what coffee is, where it comes from, where it came from, how it gets from tropical farms to your coffee table. I'm attempting to lay out everything you need to know to really appreciate coffee. So that, whether you're brewing bad grocery store coffee or sipping on some of the finest beans in the world, your coffee experiences will be better by being fully informed.
- from https://purist.coffee/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

FYI, the KickStarter has reached its stretch goal so all backers get a 56g sample of Doubleshot's holiday coffee: "a Nicaraguan, a Java Natural from Juan Ramon Diaz' Cafetalera Montelin - a complete, complex but softly aromatic cup. From my notes: strawberry, jasmine, cherry, graham cracker, not overly acidic, really juicy."

Also FYI, one of the rewards is $30 for a "Contrasting coffee selection," a 1/2 lb of a Natural and a 1/2 lb of a Washed. I'm kind of looking forward to these coffees more than the book ...

If you want to read a sample of Brian's writing, here's a good one from earlier this year: Liars in the Coffee Industry: A Retrospective.

Kickstarter closes November 28.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada