If bugs make you squeamish don't read this post.

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Kaffee Bitte

#1: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I was not sure where to post this but I suppose this will do.
Macap mc4 grinder issue.

My problem is I have an infestation of tiny maggots in my coffee grinder. I am trapping for the adults, assuming they are fruit fly larvae, or maybe fungus gnats. They must have laid eggs in the grind chute. I have cleaned as deeply in the burr chamber as I can, but apparently not enough, since they are still coming out in my grounds. This is the third time I have cleaned it, full vacuuming with pick and brush. There are definitely spots I cannot reach. I suppose I have to take it apart completely to get at every nook and cranny, but ugh so not wanting to as I have never done so.

Hydrogen peroxide will kill them and the eggs, but I am not wanting to ruin my grinder with moisture.

Anyone else run into this before?
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

MB

#2: Post by MB »

I've had a bug in my latte.

LMWDP #472

jpender

#3: Post by jpender »

Not squeamish but I'd definitely tear the grinder down and scour it. The thing is, if they're in the environment won't they just come back again?

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

My only slightly out there idea is to use a vibrating tool, e.g. a toothbrush, sex toy, etc. Run some rubbish coffee through while vibrating the chute. If you're lucky, it might shake loose the eggs and larvae.
Jim Schulman

bettysnephew

#5: Post by bettysnephew »

If you have a heat source (oven) that you can put the grinder inside and raise and maintain the temperature to 140ºF for enough time to be sure all the internals reach 140 it will kill all bugs and eggs in the machine. This is how large food production facilities can do a total kill if needed without using pesticides. Our protocol was to do this at the end of Summer when the weather outside was still warm in order to stop any infestation before colder weather set in. We would use steam powered heaters and keep the temperature at 140 until the inside of walls was at that temp and then maintain it for 8 hours. I would unplug the cord if possible and remove plastic knobs and removable parts, but if they don't contact racks they should be okay. Best of luck.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

put it in a plastic bag for a good while when not using?
LMWDP #483

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#7: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

I am taking it out of service for a bit while I try to lock this down. This is not a happy coffee week apparently. My bezzera died by rock on Monday. This appeared. Ugh. I went and bought a cheap grinder for french press in the interim since I have been espresso free for about three days now.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

I would tear it down, just to avoid the yuck factor. But it that's not practical, I would bet that putting the grinder in the oven for a few hours at the lowest heat setting will kill anything.
Dan Kehn

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

I imagine there might be eggs/larvae down below near the motor. I'm not sure if the grease on the windings would tolerate that much heat without thinning and maybe dripping. I'd consider putting it in a plastic bag tied up well and storing it in a chest freezer for a few days.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

Ah, good point. Freezing would be a better option, if it's a really, really cold freezer.
Dan Kehn