The Ideal Palate Refresher - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
CaffeFresco (original poster)

#11: Post by CaffeFresco (original poster) »

BUMP

I mentioned Carvalhelhos in the initial posts of this thread, and today I was happy to find out they won an International award for "Best Natural Mineral Water". If you see this water on your grocer shelf have at it!

I've been cleansing, oh I mean refreshing, my palate with Carvalhelhos mineral water for years.

http://www.carvalhelhos.pt/index_ing.html
Regards,

Tony Sciandra

http://www.caffefresco.us

another_jim
Team HB

#12: Post by another_jim »

Really tasteless cream cheese and even more tasteless, saltless soda crackers is the USBC judges standard, and it works fairly well. Over processed milk, as James said, is also good. You need a little fat to get rid of the coffee oils and reload the tastebuds. I'll also be adding lots of lactaid pills to my taste test kit, since about 4/5ths of the world is lactose intolerant.
Jim Schulman

CaffeFresco (original poster)

#13: Post by CaffeFresco (original poster) »

Jim, I can see milky, fatty items being used as a cleanse during a judging event, but I like to think drinking the water more as a refresher and a life-style matter verses a judging event. Like most in life, matters should be critiqued not judged.
Regards,

Tony Sciandra

http://www.caffefresco.us

another_jim
Team HB

#14: Post by another_jim »

Tony,

San Pellegrino is my absolute favorite water to accompany food and wine. I still remember the good old days, when the bottles bragged how healthfully radioactive they were. (Don't worry, the proudly quoted figure was less than background levels; but in the 60s, a little radioactivity was a marketing must for all European mineral waters).

But cleansing between espresso shots requires more of a tongue scrub
Jim Schulman

JimWright

#15: Post by JimWright »

Great thread! I've actually been thinking about something to use while tuning up for a new blend, and mineral water, crackers and cream cheese sounds ideal... darn it, now I'm hungry...

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by dumpshot »

Thought I would revive this thread because I have been curious about how experienced (and beginners like me) HBers approach espresso drinking from a palate perspective. This has come to light for me as I try to distinguish flavors and notes, acid, sour, bitter, etc.

I keep making the same mistake of brushing my teeth in the morning and then making an espresso. So the first taste is basically ruined. If I have time to make another single or double it usually tastes much better, everything being equal. It seems my palate has been 'established.'

So, in your EVERYDAY ritual:
- do you do something to cleanse or prepare your palate?
- do you pair your espresso drink with food before, during, or after your drink?
- is it necessary to have a neutral palate in order to fully enjoy your drink, a la bubbly water or tasteless crackers?

Thanks. I am curious to hear some responses.

Pete
LMWDP #484

JimWright

#17: Post by JimWright »

Rinse with water (which for me is second nature since I wear Invisalign trays that come out in the morning). First taste of espresso with nothing. After that, pair remaining espresso or Americano with a donut if you have one. :D

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by dumpshot »

"Mmmmmmmmm... donut."

- H. Simpson
LMWDP #484