Ideal espresso serving temperature

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by PIXIllate »

Why would you want a warm cup? I'm always trying to cool off the shot so I can actually taste it.

...split from Decent Machine Questions and Ideal espresso cup by moderator...

NBA

#2: Post by NBA »

PIXIllate wrote:Why would you want a warm cup? I'm always trying to cool off the shot so I can actually taste it.
Brewing with water that's 92-94° C, it never comes out so hot that I can't drink it right away. I like to slow down the cooling and enjoy it longer.

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

You can't taste properly until it cools a certain amount. I find by the time I clean up the portafilter and flush the group I have lots of time to stir the shot in a room temperature cup and I still have to wait 1-3 minutes before its at optimal tasting temperature. Espresso is basically two sips so the window is small.

Try it. You might be surprised by how many more flavours you can perceive.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

One of the very best Aeropress coffees I ever had was a 100% Kona that I brewed and then forgot about in the cup holder of the RV. Down the road about an hour later I took a sip and it was astoundingly delicious. Heat can cover a multitude of sins in a cup as can lots of milk. Cold can reveal a lot of tastes that you didn't know existed in the cup.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 22nd Anniversary 2000-2022 *

NBA

#5: Post by NBA »

Yes, I have been drinking rather slowly till the last few sips are at room temperature, just enjoy slowing down the process by starting out with warm cups.

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

It's off topic perhaps but now I'm curious about room temperature espresso.

I drink espresso or americano as far as espresso preparation. Both cool down fairly quickly in ambient temperature of 65-68 deg F (19-20C) home which is commonly our indoor temperature 6am coffee time.

I'm not sure I would want to pull shots into cups that temperature. But I will give it a try.
PIXIllate wrote:Why would you want a warm cup? I'm always trying to cool off the shot so I can actually taste it.
How cool do you want your cup?
LMWDP #198

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

I'll get out my Thermapen and measure my drinking temperature for you.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

I prefer warming up cups for milk drinks.

For cooling down straight shots I found that I like Italian double demitasses, a.k.a., luongo demitasses. They have about 50% more porcelain than a regular demitasse so they bring the temperature down to a good (for me) drinking temperature pretty much immediately. They're also about 50% taller, so they're good for swirling. These are the ones I have, from Ancap: (normal is to your left, double is to your right).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

I've found I have a STRONG preference for the thinner rims of the Not Neutral espresso cups. This isn't a surprise to me coming form the wine world. A thick rim NEVER tastes better.

I pulled out my Thermapen this morning for my shots of Hatch Letty. My drinking range is between 110 down to 100F (43-38C). This takes about 3-6 minutes in my kitchen. 110F is a bit too hot and I can see where some people might find below 105F too cool. Anything hotter than 110F and I'm simply missing the flavours in the cup.

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:No need to shout, eh?
Some people just LIKE to shout. It's not necessarily a NEED thing. ;)

So do you prefer the taste of your thinner rimmed Italian cups?