Ideal espresso cup

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

PIXIllate wrote:I've found I have a STRONG preference for the thinner rims of the Not Neutral espresso cups. This isn't a surprise to me coming form the wine world. A thick rim NEVER tastes better.
(my) NotNeutral Lino espresso: 2.7 mm at top, widening to 5.2 mm just below top
Ancap double espresso that I posted: 2.4 mm at top, widening to 4.0 mm just below top

No need to shout, eh?

...split from Ideal espresso serving temperature by moderator...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

SandraF

#2: Post by SandraF »

baldheadracing wrote:(my) NotNeutral Lino espresso: 2.7 mm at top, widening to 5.2 mm just below top
Ancap double espresso that I posted: 2.4 mm at top, widening to 4.0 mm just below top?
Please tell us more about your cups - the doppio ones in the photo. Where can you buy those? I've done various searches. Looks like a cup I'd prefer.

I have both the Ancap & the other cup mentioned and I find the feel in hand of the Ancap preferable.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to SandraF »

I've looked for a long time. Years ago a local Italian Bottega had similar cups with Lavazza branding (and a Rancilio hammered copper lever machine) and I've never seen them since. Offero had similar cups but slightly smaller - I have two - but Offero seems to be out of business AFAIK.

The Elektra/Ancap ones that I have a date of 2017. Unfortunately, I don't see the size listed on the Elektra website - only cappaccino and regular espresso cups.

Searching shows similarly-shaped cups but it is hard to tell capacity. However, these look the same and I just checked mine and 4.4oz fills my cup to the brim, so the size seems to be the same: https://ancap-usa.com/products/cups/ver ... 1-ancap-bp It also looks like Prima has stock of the 4.4 oz size: https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/anca ... erona-cups

vecchi della seattle
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by vecchi della seattle »

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

PIXIllate wrote:Some people just LIKE to shout. It's not necessarily a NEED thing. ;)

So do you prefer the taste of your thinner rimmed Italian cups?
To be honest, I never noticed the rim thickness until you mentioned it - but I did just look at my various demitasses; which ones I use and which ones just look pretty, and the ones that I use all have similarly-sized rims, both in thinness and diameter. (As an aside, also now that I think about it, for wine and spirits I have thin-rimmed lead crystal.)

What I did notice in comparison to notNeutrals was the temperature difference when I pull doubles. I didn't notice this with singles, e.g., I pulled 8g in 9g out ristrettos this morning into notNeutrals and was happy. I realize now that I've gotten into the habit of pulling singles into the notNeutrals, and doubles into the Elektra/Ancaps.