I designed a custom bean cellar caddy. Suggestions? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
michael

#11: Post by michael »

the plastic tubes are good, have cool tops and are a relatively inexpensive LW product; the only problem is that they lack the look and feel of thick walled glass tubes, but I forgot that shortcoming when I dropped one of the plastic tubes on the stone floor and it didn't break 8)

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by LBIespresso »

Here is mine along with a top for my blind tumbler to transform it into a blind shaker.

Mini mason jars from amazon. The cellar caddy and tumbler top are made of the same material as your high school science lab desktop. A friend of mine with a furniture manufacturing biz made them for me.
LMWDP #580

Advertisement
vegasryan777

#13: Post by vegasryan777 »

idrinkjetfuel wrote:I put together this caddy and it works quite well. However, my thought was a wider unit to include the hole for the WDT tool as you noted, my grooming tool and two tampers. I would angle the front area on a 30 degree plane toward me so that the tampers and grooming tool can pulled out easily for "grab and go". I already purchased the only 2 5/16" forstner bit I could find on the internet to accommodate the tampers and grooming tool, but it arrived dreadfully dull which will require sharpening. I have also purchased the wood, but waiting for cold weather for this winter project.

<image>
I like these. How are the jars holding up? What are the details on them if you don't mind. Where did you get them and how much do they hold?

idrinkjetfuel

#14: Post by idrinkjetfuel replying to vegasryan777 »

These jars have been great. I use them every day. Easy open and close. They will easily hold 20 grams of beans with room to spare. See photo below. Here is a link on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I4 ... UTF8&psc=1

vegasryan777

#15: Post by vegasryan777 »

idrinkjetfuel wrote:These jars have been great. I use them every day. Easy open and close. They will easily hold 20 grams of beans with room to spare. See photo below. Here is a link on amazon:
Awesome, thanks

tossik

#16: Post by tossik »

I'm in the process of making a caddy as well, and I bought lab grade glass test tubes with cork lids from amazon that fit 22g of beans perfectly. Do a search there. Good quality.

thirdshifter

#17: Post by thirdshifter »

I'm hooked on the Lyn Weber commercial bean cellars (the plastic ones). The glass ones look great but I know I would've shattered one by now. The funnel on the Versalab M3 basically necessitates using something like a bean cellar to pour the beans in -- and these have worked perfectly for me. Until now I was just filling about six at a time and propping them up in a line up on my espresso table. This worked but they would occasionally domino over. I just had Dave (cannonfodder) make me a beautiful caddy for six cellars out of cocobolo. It looks just amazing and fits my space very well. I'll eventually post photos of my whole setup (he made me a cocobolo cover for the M3 as well), but the photos he posted show it off well. Here's just one: