I accept espresso that's only "OK". Is this just crazy or normal for anyone else?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
ZSJAF

#1: Post by ZSJAF »

I have been in search of the perfect shot over 2 or so years. Working on the espresso game at home and going to lots of cafes. I would say in this time I have found what I like. I find my home shots are best most of the time. Keeping things consistent has always been my goal ie- same 2 coffees, equipment technique. I now have a good idea of how the shot will taste based on variations with age of coffee, grind, extraction, ect prior to tasting. I go through 5-6lbs of coffee a month, with me consuming more than my wife. The cost adds up.

My question is.....

Am I alone in accepting a medium shot of espresso in order to not waste coffee and keep on budget?
I will adjust dose up to a g and some times tamp pressure to make the next shot palatable between adjustments of grind setting.
Is this just crazy or normal for anyone else?

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

Although I aspire to make my espresso be as good as possible, I rarely actually throw something out. I think I have had only a handful of true "sink shots" in my couple decades worth of increasing espresso obsession. I do have pretty high tolerance for strong bitter and or sour flavors, which helps. And a lot of my espresso is pulling a quick shot on the way out the door to work, so it is what it is. Rather than pull another right then and there, I tend to just drink it and try to judge what to do different next time. Fortunately I have most of my process and preferred coffees figured out well enough that I rarely pull a truly bad shot, but certainly some are better than others.

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

The blends I know well, I can hit within an acceptable margin of "good" right off the bat. These are also ameliorated by the fact that most first shots get a tiny taste with a spoon then made into capps. The ones that end up sink shots are when I buy a new to me-light roasted coffee and am curious how it pulls as a SO espresso.

wachuko

#4: Post by wachuko »

Only when trying out new/different coffee beans... might be because I made a mistake or because I simply do not like it... those coffee beans get moved over to my father-in-law to use in his Delonghi Magnifica... that guy can drink anything :lol:
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Spitz.me

#5: Post by Spitz.me »

Nate42 wrote:Although I aspire to make my espresso be as good as possible, I rarely actually throw something out. I think I have had only a handful of true "sink shots" in my couple decades worth of increasing espresso obsession. I do have pretty high tolerance for strong bitter and or sour flavors, which helps. And a lot of my espresso is pulling a quick shot on the way out the door to work, so it is what it is. Rather than pull another right then and there, I tend to just drink it and try to judge what to do different next time. Fortunately I have most of my process and preferred coffees figured out well enough that I rarely pull a truly bad shot, but certainly some are better than others.
I'm in this boat as well, or of this mind. Depending on your gear, you can really struggle to get something that's even drinkable. So, from a fairly privileged position where I have gear that makes it relatively easy to make something tasty, I rarely sink anything. In fact, I'll only sink if it's legit a 10 second gusher. In other words, it's not "OK," it's actual garbage.

The "OK" shots are perfect to satisfy the craving. It's still coffee.

I'm mostly into "chocolate based" blends though. My tune might be different if I was into much lighter single bean coffees that are, in my experience, quite difficult to make OK.
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

Espresso_Monkey

#6: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

Spitz.me wrote: The "OK" shots are perfect to satisfy the craving. It's still coffee.
= caffeine hit :wink:

slipchuck

#7: Post by slipchuck »

Milk is your best friend for less impressive shots.

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Nimitzg

#8: Post by Nimitzg »

You have a fine machine...which grinder you have paired to it?

thirdcrackfourthwave

#9: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Nope. I've had 'medium' shots in cafes. I do the best I can, which is usually pretty good--if I do say so myself. If it is not palatable it goes in the sink. That doesn't happen often. Waste not want not.

Pipeandslippers

#10: Post by Pipeandslippers »

Coffee is supposedly the most cost-effective luxury taste indulgence.