Hurricane Irma

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Headala

Postby Headala » Sep 08, 2017, 3:08 pm

Fellow Floridian HBers, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Especially those of you in south Florida. Did you evacuate? Are you stuck in a little drive-up motel somewhere in Georgia? Did you bring your grinder and machine to help pass the time and make you the most popular person in your motel? Let us know how you are!

jbviau

Postby jbviau » Sep 08, 2017, 4:02 pm

Thanks, Alan. Be safe! We're staying put down here just west of Ft. Lauderdale. We almost evacuated with the kids earlier in the week, but we hesitated because of uncertainty over gas availability, traffic, hotels, etc. We're as ready as we'll ever be. I think there's a hand grinder in my cupboard for every member of our extended family, so all good on that front. 8)
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

[creative nickname]

Postby [creative nickname] » Sep 08, 2017, 4:58 pm

Sarah and I are getting out of town tomorrow. (We have a bit longer before the storm gets this far north.). We will be bringing our brand new baby daughter Maeve (9 days old today), two dogs, a whole pile of luggage, and some coffee brewing gear to a hotel in central Alabama, where we hope to ride out the storm in relative comfort.

Hopefully this will be an over reaction and the storm won't affect Tallahassee too much, but better safe than sorry, especially as it doesn't take much wind to tear our local electrical grid to shreds.
LMWDP #435

robin416

Postby robin416 » Sep 08, 2017, 5:33 pm

Word of warning from SE Alabama, fill up every chance you get. Some stations in the Dothan area are rationing gas, some stations are out. There has been a large influx of evacuees and a ton of people here for some tennis tournament which has made the fuel situation a challenge with what happened in TX.

I haven't heard if they have a fix for the problem yet. Whether they will up deliveries like they did for FL so it's just a good idea to be prepared.

jbviau

Postby jbviau » Sep 09, 2017, 1:20 pm

[creative nickname] wrote:We will be bringing our brand new baby daughter Maeve (9 days old today)...

Congrats! Smart move. Stay safe.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Headala

Postby Headala » Sep 09, 2017, 4:13 pm

jbviau wrote:Congrats! Smart move. Stay safe.

+1 Congrats on the baby!

We are ready. We didn't board up, but we have only one window I'm really concerned about. We have a wall in our back yard and other houses 10 feet from each side.

I'm using my extra time to make espresso for the neighborhood!

Hope you all are well!

gimpy

Postby gimpy » Sep 10, 2017, 12:26 am

I hope you are all safe.

My son, who lives in Key West (in the army), evacuated his family (my d-inlaw and 2 yr old gdaughter) on Wednesday. They are staying in Orlando now. Hopefully, that will be far away enough and safe enough, from this catastrophic storm.

[creative nickname]

Postby [creative nickname] » Sep 10, 2017, 2:19 pm

Now that the storm has taken a turn towards Tallahassee we are glad we got out of town before things got crazy. We are safely ensconced in a hotel room in Montgomery, Alabama, with a full tank of gas in case we need to head out even farther.

Today's coffee has been brewed on an Espro Press, using a portable electric kettle and ground on my trusty OE Lido 2. The coffee is part of Nossa Familia's Microlot Release Club program, and it is a coop blend from La Armonia Hermosa in Guatemala. Very nice berry toned acidity, well bodied and sweet, with a clean, slightly drier finish. We may be fleeing a natural disaster, but we still have to maintain a certain minimum level of civilization, after all!

I hope that those of you who are sheltering in place get through things safely, and that we all have homes to go back to once this madness passes through.
LMWDP #435

[creative nickname]

Postby [creative nickname] » Sep 10, 2017, 2:24 pm

Just the essentials:

LMWDP #435

robin416

Postby robin416 » Sep 10, 2017, 4:29 pm

She's adorable. She'll have quite the tale, once you've told her about this event, to share when she gets older.

Travel safe when you can finally return home.

Sponsored by intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project