How to tell which espresso machine someone owns... - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
yayabiko

#21: Post by yayabiko »

pcrussell50 wrote: Most BDB things are never more than seriously easy DIY. That Breville offers a good warranty and offers to replace machines even over simple DIY'able repairs is between them and their customer.
I created an account just so I could respond to this post. :wink: Sorry Peter, but I agree with the OP's assessment of Breville reliability. I have a 3yo Breville BES840XL in a box with a defunct solenoid. When trying to order the part I've been informed Breville doesn't make or stock that part anymore. I was able to find one on eBay, in Germany, but they reportedly cannot ship to America due to Covid restrictions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I used the opportunity to upgrade to a Lelit MaraX, so I'm happy with the result, but I won't be buying anymore Breville any time soon. Take my story with a grain of salt, it's just one data point.

pcrussell50

#22: Post by pcrussell50 »

yayabiko wrote:I created an account just so I could respond to this post. :wink: Sorry Peter, but I agree with the OP's assessment of Breville reliability. I have a 3yo Breville BES840XL in a box with a defunct solenoid. When trying to order the part I've been informed Breville doesn't make or stock that part anymore. I was able to find one on eBay, in Germany, but they reportedly cannot ship to America due to Covid restrictions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You do NOT need to order that exact solenoid. On the -920, at almost any espresso parts supplier, such as esspressoparts.com, there are no fewer than 20 different solenoids that will all fit the BDB. It is a mistake to think that you have to get your parts only from Breville. They used all standard form factor parts that fit all kinds of other machines. In fact, I am using a Parker (American) solenoid on my -920 as we speak. It came with a lower specced Italian solenoid originally.

Sorry. If the OP does not realize this, he is wrong.
yayabiko wrote:I used the opportunity to upgrade to a Lelit MaraX, so I'm happy with the result, but I won't be buying anymore Breville any time soon. Take my story with a grain of salt, it's just one data point.
Here's where we agree. My next machine will not be a BDB. After ten years and counting, one gets the desire to try something else. But it will not be because mine is no longer working or no longer capable. The BDB is a snap to keep working and I don't know if there is anything out there that is more capable. Equal in some cases perhaps. But not more. The thing is, I also won't throw mine away as long as it keeps on working with nothing more than the simplest maintenance and common replacement parts. With that being what it is, it may be a very very long time before I get to enjoy the pleasures of something new.

-Peter
LMWDP #553
★ Helpful

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
Eres

#23: Post by Eres »

dsc106 wrote:E61 DB owners?
I need a hand with moving the machine :)

Markedbycoffee

#24: Post by Markedbycoffee »

dsc106 wrote:E61 DB owners?
Wish I bought flow control.