How To Make The Best Coffee, According To Science [VIDEO]

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

From the SciShow channel, so not a joke. The video is about how to get to the best coffee. 13:46 long.

I learned a lot.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

BaristaBob

#2: Post by BaristaBob »

baldheadracing wrote:From the SciShow channel, so not a joke. The video is about how to get to the best coffee. 13:46 long.

I learned a lot.

video
Thanks, I enjoyed the vid. As a research scientist my whole working career, it's no wonder my hobbies of racing sport cars and home espresso carried over into retirement. The plethora of variables, whether independent or dependent, support the kind of challenge I just love!

Note: So when she said, more even extractions were noted at 15g vs. 20g and using a coarser grind...doesn't that create a fast flow extraction problem?

Also as a side note, Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on best methods for cold brewing...quite interesting.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

The paper referred to on the various sweet spots for espresso and reducing variation by grinding coarser is covered in an actionable way at https://strivefortone.com/2020/09/19/lo ... -espresso/

The published paper is available at https://www.cell.com/matter/pdfExtended ... 19)30410-2

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster replying to Jeff »

Also known as turbo shots.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

As an anecdotal observation, I wonder if this is due to changed roasting styles for ligher roasts, especially the move to air or convection roasting.

I used to tame highly acidic light roasts by grinding finer and dosing lower. In the last few years, this has yielded indistinct, almost tasteless brews. So, I've been updosing, grinding coarser, and getting much better shots.

My impression is that the current generation of ligjt roasts have very narrowly focussed flvors (i.e., they occupy a very narrow slice of the flavor wheel). Grinding coarse spreads these flavors out, and gives the shot more depth. Older drum roasts have a wider flavor focus, and grinding fine relaxes their extremes.
Jim Schulman

pGolay

#6: Post by pGolay »

ooof. Painful to watch.
-PG

jpender

#7: Post by jpender replying to pGolay »

I couldn't make it through to the end. There was just something about the presentation that hurt to watch.

coyote-1

#8: Post by coyote-1 »

A slight but related aside: some (such as Lance Hedrick) insist that espresso must be stirred. Because what emerges from the portafilter in the first second is different than what comes out in the final second. This is in-line, for example, with folks who insist an entire salad should be dressed then tossed, and that a wine should be decanted in order to ensure uniformity throughout the consumption process.

I disagree with the concept.

I love when something I'm consuming changes as the process goes on. When each new bite, each sip is different than the last. When one bite of a sandwich has heavy tomato, and the next is more tilted to cucumber.

I know there is science, chemistry, in food. But.... I wonder if these scientists have accounted for the reality that folks have a very wide variance in how they experience flavors?

rmongiovi

#9: Post by rmongiovi »

Well, I made it through the whole video but I still don't feel that I know how to make the best coffee.
I learned that differences make a difference, but nothing about how to choose among differences.

BaristaBob

#10: Post by BaristaBob »

These are the times when I wish I had a refractometer to measure the EY when making changes to extraction pressures, grinding, etc. Not that EY ever trumps taste in the cup, but just to know where I am on that volcano curve?! :?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"