How To Make The Best Coffee, According To Science [VIDEO] - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#21: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

IIRC, VST 20 ridgeless. It was/is the specified basket for the World Barista Championship for many years, so the baskets are very common in "third-wave" cafés.

ETA: The VST 20 flows faster than the VST 15 and slower than the VST 25. In addition, people now use filter papers on the bottom of the basket, which results in an even faster flow.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Chert

#22: Post by Chert »

I thought I recalled reading that reducing basket size for the 15 g was preferred.... Hmmm, where did I get that notion? now I have to overcome laziness and look again. And thanks for the information. Ya'll may have prevented a shopping spree.
LMWDP #198

Team HB

#23: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to Chert »

That might have been due to 'optimal' headspace - which IMO depends on machine, brew parameters, coffee, grinder, whether one wants/needs easy-to-knock-out spent pucks, if there is a puck screen or filter paper on top of the puck, phases of the moon ... :wink:

Chert

#24: Post by Chert »

Oh, it is in the blog post of Chris Hendon: (I think attributed correctly, linked above)[edit: Michael Cameron's blog see next post]
You could then lower your dose using a 15g basket, keep your beverage weight at 40g, grind fine, and see how you go with a traditional 30-second extraction. Taste good? Again, great! You're almost at the peak efficiency and reproducibility sweet spot. (And just to be clear-we used a 15g basket and dosed 15g into it. We did not use a 20g basket and dose 15g. I'd highly recommend using a basket suited to the dose).
LMWDP #198

Team HB

#25: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Chert wrote:Oh, it is in the blog post of Chris Hendon (I think attributed correctly, linked above):
That quote was from Michael Cameron's blog. Cameron was the lead author of the paper published in Matter, although he did not write that paper.

As a general thought, I don't like it when the methodology in the published paper differs from what was actually done. I am definitely not saying that anything even remotely nefarious or misleading was intended. However, using two different basket designs may well have given different results in and of themselves. I have no idea what impact the change in baskets would have on the published results, and I have no idea what this 15g basket was.

Chert

#26: Post by Chert »

Thanks for that correction. I agree it suggests they report their methods incorrectly - not a good oversight. I will include a smaller basket in my 15 g turbo explorations.
LMWDP #198