How much have you spent on espresso equipment? - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.

How much have you spent on espresso equipment?

Greater than $3000
31%
$2500 - $3000
14%
$2000 - $2499
12%
$1500 - $1999
14%
$1000 - $1499
14%
$500 - $999
10%
Less than $500
4%
Other (explain)
1%

Total votes: 140

HB (original poster)
Admin

#21: Post by HB (original poster) »

bobroseman wrote:Here is a case where taking the average would be misleading.
I doubt any of the HB polls would stand up to statistical scrutiny, but it is curious how the results differ. One member suggested offline that it may speak to the difference between first-time versus long-time visitors. The first timers are likely to pass by the home page and may well skip the forums entirely; long timers are likely to go directly to the forums.
Dan Kehn

bobroseman

#22: Post by bobroseman »

On one poll 15 responded to the over 3K category and on the other 16 responded to that category. I wonder if I was the one who only responded once? :D

I was commenting on the bimodal distribution which I find to be interesting. It suggests that people tend to dip their toes in and then jump in whole hog. Not so many start or move into the mid range figures. On the other hand, I know that I am making too much out of too little data. :roll:

Bob
Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation. ~Author Unknown

cannonfodder
Team HB

#23: Post by cannonfodder »

I jump into the root page, see if there is a new top level article and then go to the forums. I cast my vote in the forum, not on the root page
Dave Stephens

Worldman

#24: Post by Worldman »

I really only have one, errr...acceptable set-up...but have an espresso graveyard in the basement which consists of:
- 3 REMAINING Coffee Gaggia (of the 5 purchased over the past several years) - I usually kept one at home + one in the office
- 1 La Pavoni piston machine
- 1 Krupps steam toy (of the 5 purchased over the first several years)
- various cups, knock boxes, pitchers, etc.
- a moka or two.

Frankly, I would still be using yet another Coffee Gaggia had I not one day wondered into Coffee Geek (before this site was even a gleam in Dan's eye). I have been drinking espresso for nearly 30 years but thought a home machine could be little better than the Coffee Gaggia.

(Note to self: "pay attention in future!")

Len

HB (original poster)
Admin

#25: Post by HB (original poster) »

The home page poll held to its early trend with more than 50% saying they spent less than $1500 compared to the forum followers who filled the opposite extreme with 50% reporting spending more than $2500.

Worldman wrote:I have been drinking espresso for nearly 30 years but thought a home machine could be little better than the Coffee Gaggia.
You will have another opportunity to peg the meter with the new home page poll: How long have you been making espresso at home?
  • Just thinking about it
  • Less than a month
  • A few months
  • Less than a year
  • 1-2 years
  • 2-3 years
  • 3-5 years
  • 5+ years
Dan Kehn

joellawry

#26: Post by joellawry »

well on value my kit's worth around about $900 worth, but i got it all 2nd hand for $120, and then found that my dad had an old coffee grinder (of course it's a burr grinder not blade) so for $120 I'm not arguing!

oh and Gatewood - espresso fanaticism is much easier for you than it is for me, I'm 16 and my dad seems to wonder why a teenager is more interested in coffee preparation than being moody and depressed! Honestly! You'd think he'd be happier with a hyperactive coffee fueled son than a moody one!