How much coffee do you drink per day? - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
BodieZoffa

#21: Post by BodieZoffa »

jpender wrote:It's a question worth asking oneself (and I don't mean you specifically): Why do you drink so much caffeine?
I simply make espresso a part of every day as I've yet to find any form of coffee come remotely close to what espresso can offer. Since starting home roasting going on 8 yrs now I can also relatively afford to consume more than I did when buying roasted, so that makes the process that much more worth the time/effort/expense.

Regarding caffeine, I do like my fair share and have built up quite the tolerance to it. Without question it helps to offset the mega-doses of antihistamines I must live on 24/7/365 for debilitating asthma/allergies. So... unless it eventually leads to stroke #3, yes I will gladly laugh at that based on my life the past 5 yrs, I'm gonna keep letting it rip!

erik82

#22: Post by erik82 »

Most days of the week I drink 2 pourovers (18/300gr) and 3 double espressos (15.5/36gr) as I work a lot from home. When I'm at the office on monday I only drink 1-2 doubles when I'm at home again in the afternoon.

I never drink coffee later then 5PM because that has an impact on my sleep. When on holiday I can go without coffee for weeks if they don't have a good cafe. I just refuse to drink bad coffee as I don't see any use for it :mrgreen: . I never get withdrawal symptoms and can sleep fine so that for me is a sign I'm not drinking too much.

LucaFg

#23: Post by LucaFg »

I love to make experiments, I brew 4-5 espresso per day but I only drink half of each cup, I waste the other half. So it's like drinking 2-3 espresso. Usually one of them is for cappuccino. So, 1-2 espresso and 1 cappuccino per day, but not really every day, from time to time I take a break.

Today I made 4 experiments with very expensive specialty light from Colombia: 200g 30€. In total i brewed 60g in 120ml out. But I wasted at least 60ml = 30g.... 4,5€ wasted.... Coffee is an expensive hobby.....
I'm not even satisfied with the result of my today experiment... :-(

BaristaBob

#24: Post by BaristaBob »

I'm pretty set in my routine...two double shot flat whites in the morning and one more in the afternoon. Still sleep like a baby, and actually feel calmer after my coffees. My wife and others have said that's a sure sign of ADD but I've never been "officially" diagnosed with the condition.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Sal

#25: Post by Sal »

I have been off coffee for 19 days now. Still having lingering cough and congestion from the "cold" I caught last month. While off coffee, I have been drinking mostly lemon honey tea (decaf English Breakfast with a wedge of lemon and spoon of homemade raw honey). So far I don't find any psychological or physical caffeine withdrawal symptoms.

While I never consume beverages for caffeine intake, I just read this article. I'm not an athlete, so caffeine may not affect my daily activity that much, but it may have some other negative cognitive effects on me. When I recover, I may try drinking only decaf coffee to see if I find any cognitive changes in long run beyond a few weeks.

https://neurosciencenews.com/caffeine-d ... ing-25353/
I am a home-roaster, not a home-barista...

erik82

#26: Post by erik82 »

When I was training for the Rotterdam Marathon last november till this april I did use some caffeine gels on my 30-35K longruns and it did help somewhat. With the marathon itself I did take 2 of them which does make some difference but I didn't want to use more as that would raise my heart heart which would have a negative effect on the 3:40 time as you finish with a really high heart rate already withouyt caffeine. I'm an hobby athlete that trains for 7-8 times a week but only with running I do like to drink a 300ml cupo of pourover about 30min before my 12K or longer runs. It does help a tiny bit.

jpender

#27: Post by jpender »

Sal wrote:While I never consume beverages for caffeine intake, I just read this article. I'm not an athlete, so caffeine may not affect my daily activity that much, but it may have some other negative cognitive effects on me. When I recover, I may try drinking only decaf coffee to see if I find any cognitive changes in long run beyond a few weeks.

https://neurosciencenews.com/caffeine-d ... ing-25353/

How will you measure your cognitive function?

Looking at the paper itself it seems that you shouldn't expect much, if any, of a difference. They had only twelve subjects. They each consumed approximately 200mg of caffeine. The average differences between caffeinated and placebo were underwhelming. Some of the subjects had increases in the two cognitive measures with caffeine vs placebo.

A few quotes from the paper:
While no statistically significant differences were observed, it is noteworthy that most of the participants scored lower on decision-making and [Loughborough Soccer Passing Test] after consuming caffeine...

...Our results suggest that acute consumption of caffeine does not significantly affect decision-making abilities...

...Despite many benefits of caffeine on physical and cognitive performance, future studies are needed to evaluate the effects of this substance on passing accuracy and decision-making.

Sal

#28: Post by Sal »

Yep, I don't expect any change. With or without caffeine, I expect no difference in my daily performance or cognitive ability. I haven't found any benefits in caffeine consumption so far. I probably will not find any negative effects at low dose either. But it's not a scientific inquiry for me.
I am a home-roaster, not a home-barista...

rmongiovi

#29: Post by rmongiovi »

I was under the impression that there's potentially a correlation between coffee consumption and lower chance of dementia and Alzheimer's. I decided to add coffee to my diet years ago for the anti-oxidants and such (tried tea first but can't stand it). The dementia/Alzheimer's thing is just an added bonus as far as I can see.

I drink one 12 oz cup of brewed coffee a day. I don't notice any caffeine effects. I have had caffeine withdrawal headaches in the past, but that was when I gave up Coke. I'm not planning on giving up coffee to see if that also triggers headaches.

Sugarbeet

#30: Post by Sugarbeet »

My routine varies. My default now that I'm testing a new grinder is 3 coffees(10,15,12.5g) per day. first around 7am, then at 11am, final one at 3pm. Normally it's just two.

Before starting with self-ground and speciality coffee I drunk instant and "office machine" coffee for many years (usually a full teaspoon of "espresso" kind instant twice a day when WFH, or an instant in the morning plus 2~3 office machine coffees when working on site). Back then If I missed my coffees I'd have a horrible headache in the evening.

Interestingly when I switched to self ground speciality coffee (2* 8g per day initially) I'd get the same coffee withdrawal headaches every few days despite drinking coffee. So I believe there is a lot more caffeine in the instant I used to drink (as at this stage I haven't seen an office machine coffee for years so I was down to 2x instant per day).

Currently If I don't have my coffee I do get a mild headache around evening time on the second day, but it's nowhere near the intensity of the previous ones.

I do enjoy the extra clarity of mind it produces in early mornings. I never was an "early morning person". I attribute the fact I frequently do my most productive work in the mornings to coffee.

For me to get most benefits from caffeine I have to stop drinking any coffee around 2pm, 3pm the latest.