How long do you use your milk once opened?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
dsc106

#1: Post by dsc106 »

I buy pasteurized (*not* UHT) milk from a high quality local brand. Recommendation for milk products is use within 7 days of opening, regardless of if the expiration date on the container is farther out, due to oxidation.

I am wondering, do you use an *opened* container of milk for more than 7 days if it doesn't taste or smell obviously sour or look off? Is it both safe to do so, and render good results in the cup?

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Milligan »

I've always used milk up to the "use by " date whether opened or not. I've never noticed it going sour by using it 7 days already opened. However, we go through the milk around my house pretty quickly so maybe it has never lasted a full week opened!

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#3: Post by RapidCoffee »

I use milk as long as it smells/tastes/looks good.

Side note: steamed milk will curdle in espresso when it's about to go bad, typically a day or two before it's obviously soured.
John

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by PIXIllate replying to RapidCoffee »

Agree. Until it smells bad but before that it will not steam the same and pour very oddly.

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

We always buy the best quality, freshest milk and use it as long as it looks, smells, tastes and pours well (both cold & hot). It won't even pour well cold if it's on the way out.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

bullet08

#6: Post by bullet08 »

Never had milk going bad on me before expiration date. Usually, I'll taste it before using if it's closer to expiration date. But I rarely use milk with my espresso until few days ago. My drip brew uses creamer. But breakfast teas do use milk.

SteveRhinehart

#7: Post by SteveRhinehart »

I also use milk up to the point that it starts curdling. Then I put it to use for other things, like yogurt or ice cream, or milk-washing a cocktail (easier to curdle means I can use less acid in the cocktail, nice). Most of the time I use up a carton before that point.

cafeIKE

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

A long time back, a pal was a bacteriologist or something.
He had a Masters in BioChemistry, superb taste discrimination and in charge of QC at a local dairy.

He maintained that 40 days at 40°F - unopened - and he could neither taste or detect any defect. Any product that went bad was improperly handled at some point.

IMO, milk is an organic product and varies considerably from week to week and location to location, so experience in one locale may not apply elsewhere.

My grandfather made prize winning ice cream and butter. He always claimed pasteurization changed the taste and texture.

I lived in a small village in England and picked up unpasteurized whole milk pints in glass bottles from the local dairy at the corner shop. NEVER hand any go bad.

Most sell by dates are nanny state paranoia.

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

SutterMill

#10: Post by SutterMill »

This is a coffee forum. I believe levity is strictly foreboden. Also I laughed. :lol:

With the expense of fresh milk in my area I've never had a problem getting it used.

As long as the milk smells and looks fine then its getting used. I like Steves idea of using milk close to going bad for other purposes. Never occurred to me to use it for yogurt.