How long do you use your milk once opened? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
SJM

#11: Post by SJM »

dsc106 wrote:Recommendation for milk products is use within 7 days of opening, regardless of if the expiration date on the container is farther out, due to oxidation.
As the now retired owner of a company distributing dairy products, I am wondering where you found this recommendation, which I have never encountered before.

dsc106 (original poster)

#12: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies all.

To answer the question of where found, Alpenrose is the local brand I purchase and it advises here on their FAQ 7 days once opened:

https://alpenrose.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... eating-FAQ

However it wasn't just here, it is common online if you Google "how many days milk good after opening" or similar.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

My Wife uses expired milk in the garden.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cafeIKE

#14: Post by cafeIKE »

dsc106 wrote:THowever it wasn't just here, it is common online if you Google "how many days milk good after opening" or similar.
As Abraham Lincoln said long ago, "Fifty percent of everything on the internet is just flat out wrong!"

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Pressino »

SutterMill wrote:
With the expense of fresh milk in my area I've never had a problem getting it used.
I wonder where you can buy used milk? Sorry, I couldn't resist asking the question.

As regards the longevity in the fridge of an opened container of milk, an important factor is whether or not anyone has drunk some of it directly from the container. That not uncommon habit is responsible for inoculating the milk with mouth borne bacteria (and perhaps fungi) that will proliferate and spoil the milk much more quickly than milk kept in more fastidious households... :wink:

drudolf17

#16: Post by drudolf17 »

"The nose knows" is my mantra. If I have any doubt I give it a sniff. If still not sure take a swig. I don't care about "best by" dates they don't know if my fridge is too warm / too cold etc.

That being said, I can easily go through 2 gallons (4 half-gallon bottles, so as not to stay open too long) easily before they even get close to going bad.

pj.walczak

#17: Post by pj.walczak »

24 hours after opening is what is recommended in Europe.
There are some highly pasteurized milks which taste awful but can be used within 5 days after opening.
All of this, assuming you didn't break the cooling cycle, so the milk stays refrigerated.
---

Pawel

Marcelnl

#18: Post by Marcelnl replying to pj.walczak »

?
Not in my part of Europe, I regularly buy unpasteurized milk and that easily keeps for 4-5 days. IME the texture of the cappuccino foam is an earlier indicator of milk starting to go off than the nose. I tend to think that the temp in your fridge is a key element, together with not drinking straight from the bottle/carton as mentioned.
LMWDP #483

NelisB

#19: Post by NelisB »

If you heat the milk and it falls apart, it's time to throw it out. Otherwise use it.

NelisB

#20: Post by NelisB »

pj.walczak wrote:24 hours after opening is what is recommended in Europe.
There are some highly pasteurized milks which taste awful but can be used within 5 days after opening.
All of this, assuming you didn't break the cooling cycle, so the milk stays refrigerated.
That's weird, I have lived in Europe (NL) whole my life, but never heard of this recommendation.