How caffeine helps us, hurts us and why we crave it...

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Boldjava

#1: Post by Boldjava »

A wonderful one hour listen from Minnesota Public Radio, discussing how caffeine helps us and hurts us with:

o Dr. Donald Hensrud is an internal medicine doctor and medical director of the Mayo Clinic's Healthy Living program in Rochester.

There is so much news about caffeine which isn't factual. This one hour listen comes closer to fact. TLDR? How caffeine impacts is quite individual based on your own genetic makeup and metabolism.

https://www.mprnews.org/episode/2022/04 ... e-crave-it
-----
LMWDP #339
★ Helpful

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I'm glad I gave it my hour or so of listening time, but it seemed rather a fluff piece with very little content of worth. Almost every anecdote came by way of asking what consumers imbibed with their caffeine (Sugar? Cream?) etc, without delving much deeper into the science behind caffeine and its effects on the human body that we don't already know about.

Not an overt criticism, just an observation, too many puff-pieces like these just seem to be regurgitated sound bites of things already discussed, either in the scientific literature or by lazy journalists on NPR looking for a click-worthy title to promote. :mrgreen:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
BodieZoffa

#3: Post by BodieZoffa »

I don't read much into things like that as in many ways we all have varying levels of tolerance. I can easily/safely consume 1 gram of caffeine in a 3-4 hr timeframe with no ill effect and I do quite often. No change in blood pressure/pulse, no anxiety/restlessness, etc. I'm a strong advocate for caffeine as it helps offset the massive amounts of antihistamines I must take daily to help minimize allergic risk. Also brings mental satisfaction daily with roasting, extracting and repeating endlessly.

CoolHandLukey

#4: Post by CoolHandLukey »

Boldjava wrote:There is so much news about caffeine which isn't factual
ROFL ! News, indeed. Yours seems the understatement of the decade. Enjoy
Death is not evil let alone the worst of evils. 'Live free or die'

Boldjava (original poster)

#5: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

TomC wrote:I'm glad I gave it my hour or so of listening time, but it seemed rather a fluff piece with very little content of worth...
Hey Tom, you, as a medical field professionalI use data, fact, every day in your practice. The hour radio show isn't a scientific paper by any stretch. I do find the anecdotes from a respected physician at Mayo informative and helpful. And as posted, the part which was most helpful (which so much news neglects) is that our own individual physical composition governs individual and unique responses to caffeine.
-----
LMWDP #339

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by LBIespresso »

Boldjava wrote:And as posted, the part which was most helpful (which so much news neglects) is that our own individual physical composition governs individual and unique responses to caffeine.
So true. My family makes fun of the fact that I can drink so much coffee and makes fun of me for not having any after 3PM or it affects my sleep.

I guess that's high tolerance but slow metabolization
LMWDP #580

Flannelsec

#7: Post by Flannelsec »

I don't want to hear how caffeine is bad for us. I only want to believe it's good for me.