HB Roadshow - Espresso Tamper Reviews - Page 4

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#31: Post by cannonfodder »

Fit plays a big part. Just like a good knife, the best knife in the block is the one you enjoy using. In a production environment, a small fit adjustment can yield a big improvement. However in my kitchen that change is less functional but none the less important.

I have been experimenting with base combinations and there is most definitely a better piston for my machine. I used to chalk up the flat or convex piston to personal preference, my attitude toward that has changed. It does make a difference, at least on my Faema.

I have spent some time pulling shots with tamper X with piston Y and Z as well as other tampers with the same style base in an attempt to quantify my findings. Those findings being, the Reg convex base works OK but tends to be very dose centric, the Bumper with the radically convex base just doesn't work in my machine and the flat bases are even worse. However the 'mid' convex shape of the EP Compressore yields repeatable and reliable extractions. I have used multiple dose levels and distribution techniques with each option and get the same essential result. I will summarize everything in my 'real' review. It has been an interesting experience with some eye opening results, but my hand still grabs that EspressoCraft for fit.
Dave Stephens

Worldman

#32: Post by Worldman »

cannonfodder wrote:...Even with singles, I think my head is going to explode. Mental note, don't drink two doubles and five singles in one morning... :shock:
Dave,

LOL!!! Good point!
Len

Worldman

#33: Post by Worldman »

another_jim wrote:I sure do. But the reviews I've read so far have downplayed both aesthetics and shot quality; instead reviewers seem to be choosing their favorites based mostly on feel.
Jim,

I find this a "strange" comment. I revel in the feel of my Lava tamper every time I use it, and, yes, I try to perfect my tamp and procedure...but it is the feel that "grabs" me each time; kind of a "sure footedness" about the way it goes about its business in my hand. (I can't wait until the lil' suitcase arrives at my door!)

Len

cannonfodder
Team HB

#34: Post by cannonfodder »

The tamper dream case has reached the end of its visit with me. During the week I have tried every tamper in the kit and have developed a new appreciation for the craftsmanship that goes into each tool.

The Dream Line-up: La Forza, Espressocraft, TORR, Coffeelab Design, Thor...

My initial selection phase was straight forward. I took all the tampers, lined them up on the table and proceeded to pick up each one and simulate a tamp on a towel. A pattern quickly evolved as to which handle style fits my hand. Having small yet meaty hands, a good handle to hand fit is hard to find. My preference was for the bulbous handles.

I worked the fit into four basic categories. The size of the handle bulb, the overall length of the handle measured from the top of the bulb to the interface with the piston, the diameter of the handle at the handle to piston interface, and the contour of the piston to handle fit.

I picked my initial top three tampers based on those criteria. After the handle to hand selection I moved onto the real measure of a tamper. How well does it pull a shot with basket X in machine Y with piston Z.

Top Three Picks

My top three, in order of preference are
1. Espressocraft
2. La Forza (with the EPNW convex piston)
3. TORR

Of the available tampers, the TORR, La Forza and Espressocraft had the best fit to my hand. I think it is important to note that I avoided the Reg HB logo tamper and the Lava tamp because I already own each.

TORR by Cafe Kulture

The TORR is an exceptionally crafted tool. The fit and finish of the wood was the best of the kit. The hard satin finish and precision turned handle are of 'one-off' quality. No mill marks from the lathe, no sanding marks or blemishes from the finish. A true craftsman finish versus some of the rougher mass produced products on the market.

The TORR has a unique piston. It has an inward taper from the piston base to the piston top. The sample unit had a convex base resembling the same relief of the Reg Barber tampers.

The bulb fits the curvature of my palm almost perfectly. Unfortunately, my short meaty fingers are not the best match for the handle length and shaft diameter. My fingers felt slightly cramped while grasping the shaft. The handle length was just a little to long as well. If my fingers were slightly longer and thinner it would have been a perfect fit.

La Forza
This is the true essence of artisan craftsmanship and each handle is a true expression of the potter that created it and the artist who painted it:

Images from La Forza Tamp

The La Forza tamper is as much a work of art as a functional tamper. The handle bulb is the largest of the kit. This is not going to drift or wiggle in your grip. The handle is a little too large for me. While not too bad, after a day of continuous use my palm was beginning to get sore from wrapping around it.

The diameter of the shaft was just about right. My fingers were not cramped and I did not fidget around when I grasp it. While the handle was shorter than the Torr, it was still just a hair to long. If the handle bulb was slightly smaller, I would have been able to grasp it more comfortably.

The handle to piston interface was not the best fit and finish. The handle actually sat slightly off center from the piston top. That leaves an uneven gap around the base which will harbor coffee grounds.

The handle did have some minor waves in the finish giving it a hand formed pottery appearance. The graphics are hand painted and glazed over to protect them from wearing off over the years. There is something 'old world' about the handle, and I like it.

The tamper was outfitted with a flat piston. Any of the espressoparts.com tamper bases will fit this handle so you can get other styles.

Espressocraft

This is the epitome of precision machining. The all stainless handle and piston may not be as aesthetically pleasing as an exotic grained wood (IMHO) but the fit is incredibly precise. There is no gap or uneven fit on any of the parts. It reminds me of something machined for aircraft as opposed to a coffee smasher.

The handle bulb fit my palm swell perfectly. The handle length and shaft diameter were, well, perfect. I did not grope or fiddle with the handle position in my hand. I just simply grasped it and it fell into place.

This is also the only tamper with a machined handle shaft to piston top interface. The piston has a tapered interface with the handle as well as a countersunk handle. The fit is so tight that you could not put a piece of paper in the gap between the two parts. The curvature of the piston to handle fit conforms to the shape of my fingers. No scrunching, no tucking or stretching, it simply fit like a glove.

Espressocraft manufactures two different handle lengths, I am not sure which length was included in the kit. The demo unit was supplied with a flat piston but a convex piston is available. It is also only available in 58mm.

And at the other extreme...

Radical Pro by Reg Barber

My least favorite of the kit, the Reg Barber Radical Pro. The handle of the Reg Radical was too radical. It reminded me of something I whittled from a tree branch and stuck on a piston base. Grasping it for any amount of time resulted in cramps in my hand.

Flat or Convex? Yes, it does matter

After proceeding through the touch and feel portion of the selection, I moved onto more practical matters. How well can I pull a shot with the tamper.

The convex versus flat piston has been debated at length. I always considered the choice to be a matter of personal preference and of little significance in the shot. My opinion has changed. I am a firm believer in piston to group to basket geometry.

After selecting the Espressocraft as my favorite fit, I proceeded to pull shot after shot. To my surprise, my shot quality went to pot. Every shot went into the sink. Uneven extraction, channel jets and dead spots abounded. I tried several different distribution methods, no change. I tried several different tamp techniques, minor changes. After a lot of testing, I started to modify my dose. I found that with my normal 17 gram dose the flat piston just did not work. I down dosed, that was a mistake. So I started to progressively up-dose several more grams. I was jamming upwards of 20 grams into my LM ridgeless basket to get a barely acceptable shot.

I moved to the La Forza which also has a flat piston. My results were no better. My normal tamper is a Reg HB logo with a convex base. I decided to test all the available convex tampers. I started with the Coffeelab tamper. This has a very small convex base. You have to put the tamper on a flat surface to even notice that there is a little curvature in the piston. My results were the same as a flat piston.

I moved to the Cafe Kulture TORR which has a slightly more convex base. My shot quality improved but was far from perfect. I decided to jump to the extreme end of the convex tamper scale for my next test. The Bumper tamp has an enormous convex piston. I had to down dose with this piston. I was now getting a dead center with good perimeter extraction. I never hit the sweet spot with this piston.

So I decided to swap out the EPNW Compressore base with the La Forza handle. This base has more convex shape than the Reg but much less than the Bumper. I returned to my standard dose and technique to start with, which I did with every variation. My first shot, almost perfectly even extraction. I updosed the next shot and the shot quality degraded, uneven extraction and some channeling. The next shot I downdosed to around 15 grams. Wonderful shot and good flavor, so I try it again, same result. I just found the perfect piston to group to basket fit for my machine.

La Forza, Coffeelab Design, TORR, Compressore, Bumper

Now I must point out that I limited my 'official' testing to my two group Faema, which just happens to be the most unforgiving machine I have ever used. I did try the same process on my Isomac Millennium with less drastic results. There was still a difference and the convex tamper still yielded better initial results. I was however, able to compensate with dose but believe the best shots were still obtained with the convex pistons. Convex shower screen, convex piston, flat shower screen flat piston has been my mantra, and this testing lends itself to that theory. But as with everything subjective, your results may vary.

Conclusion

The most comfortable tamper to the hand is worthless unless the base matches the machine. My convex shower screen matches the convex shape of the Compressore piston. That gives me an even headspace across the entire puck and even extractions in the cup. So consider the shape of your piston carefully. If you are having problems with extractions, try a different shape base, it just may do the trick.

My personal favorite tamper, that would be the Espressocraft with a convex base that matches the curvature of the EPNW Compressore piston.
Dave Stephens

another_jim
Team HB

#35: Post by another_jim »

Great report.

One niggle, your "top three picks" are actually your "top three comfort picks."

It's almost fortunate that your Faema is such a primadonna on dose and tamp; that made the tamper base comparison more fun to hear about (although I sympathize with the strain on your tastebuds). Any idea what makes this one so tough? What's the dwell and water debit?
Jim Schulman

cannonfodder
Team HB

#36: Post by cannonfodder »

The water debit on the machine is very high. We had discussed it in the Flow rate of a rotary pump espresso machine. It will produce some good shots but you have to be 100% on your technique. That is why I added the delay on relay for preinfusion. That makes the machine a bit more forgiving, but it still exploits any flaw.

With the optimal debit at 75ml in 10 seconds, I get 62ml in 10 seconds on my preinfuse with 3 bar of mains pressure. The pump pushes 106ml in 10 seconds at 9 bar. I wanted to replace the group jet to lower the flow but have not been able to locate an appropriate jet. It is a Spanish manufactured Faema and is somewhat unusual in the group internals.

As to the top three picks, they are in part based on comfort. I believe you have to have an even mix of comfort and piston fit. If the handle is not comfortable to use, or properly fitted to your hand, you will be more apt to fidget with the tamper which will lead to another variable in the shot. The Espressocraft is my top pick for fit, it simply landed in my hand perfectly every time I used it. That is why the last line of the review states that my perfect tamper would be the Espressocraft with a convex base that matched the relief of the EPNW Compressore piston. I also made note on my number two pick (La Forza) that its ranking was with the Compressore piston.

It was actually difficult trying to balance the form and function. I believe an Espressocraft with the convex base is in my future, as well as a La Forza with the Compressore piston. I am going to look into having a La Forza made with a little different geometry to fit my hand. Being hand made one at a time, it probably would not be a problem. The wife likes the looks of the La Forza the best as well.

It is somewhat fitting that my last shot with the kit was with the La Forza with the Compressore piston this morning and it was absolutely wonderful. I would not call it a god shot, but it was carried on the wings of angels.
Dave Stephens

Worldman

#37: Post by Worldman »

Dave,

A great write-up and very well written. I now fear that the bar has been set too high!! Still, I can't wait to get my hands on these babies.

Len

cafeIKE

#38: Post by cafeIKE »

another_jim wrote:But the reviews I've read so far have downplayed both aesthetics and shot quality; instead reviewers seem to be chosing their favorites based mostly on feel.
There's simply not enough time for rigorous science in two or three days.

Since I had the 'football', I've been thinking a great deal about what I learned and what I didn't.
Parameters I would like to investigate in a controlled test, for a standard grind, dose, tamp and pump pressure:
- Optimum basket to tamper clearance. [5 tampers in .1mm increments]
- Optimum tamper corner profile. [5 tampers each in round and chamfer profile in .05mm increments]
- Optimum profile of tamper face to shower screen face. [5 tampers from flat to same profile to more convex]
- Optimum of the above optimums. [This Golden Tamper is 1 of 625]
Then start again, varying grind, dose, tamp, pump pressure and brew temp.
Then start again, varying CBLF [Carbon Base Life Form]

As far as shot quality, there are so many variables and permutations in the included tampers alone, never mind with basket, shower screen and pump pressures included, that shot quality comments would be random at best. I felt I could become trapped in vortex of endlessly varying grind, dose, tamp, brew temp with a device that is grossly incompatible with my basket / shower screen / etc. The best I hoped to achieve was some cursory insight into the myriad variations in tampers and what, if any, effect is attributable to any variation.

As far as feel vs aesthetics, and this will probably get me voted out of the club, a tamper is just a tool. A tool works best when it's comfortable and the user develops a 'oneness'. Whether it's a hammer or a handgun, if it feels right and you don't have to think about using it, it is right. One can pound nails with a handgun or defend oneself with a hammer, but both at considerably more risk. :D

Psyd

#39: Post by Psyd »

cafeIKE wrote:
There's simply not enough time for rigorous science in two or three days.

One can pound nails with a handgun or defend oneself with a hammer, but both at considerably more risk. :D
Hundreds of thousands of dollars are spent each year to fit the race drivers of the fastest machines on four wheels to their machines so that they are comfortable. "An uncomfortable seat will cost a driver a few thousandths in the opening laps of a race, but at the end, a seat that supports the driver comfortably will add a half second to eight tenths per lap." In most racing, a half second per lap is worth more than hundreds of thousands. If you could give any top racing team a half second a lap, you could retire on two years income.
Comfort in a tool is more important than some people realize.
And having a few days to apply any scientific process while continuing on with your 'real' life is foolish. Unless your real life is that slow to start with...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

another_jim
Team HB

#40: Post by another_jim »

When I made the remark about choosing tampers by feel; I had no intention of criticizing anybody. If I came across as critical, I apologize.

Think of me as the tamper-martian; I don't get it. Tamping has never been an important part of my espresso prep, and I'm reading the reviews to find out what's important and what isn't. Since I'm skeptical how much difference tamper configurations or tamping styles have on shot quality (although Cannonfodder's remarks are worth a following up); I'm perfectly happy to hear people discuss them in terms of comfort. That has enough contact with my experience to actually get me mildly interested in buying new ones.

... and I'd like one in polished chrome that fits my hand like an old loafer :wink:
Jim Schulman