HB Roadshow - Espresso Tamper Reviews - Page 12

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jesawdy

#111: Post by jesawdy »

Worldman wrote:I remembered the RS Bumper tamper having a pretty radical convex piston...or is my memory faulty? Anyway, the "severe" radicality was one of the things I liked about it.
Len, your memory is correct. My review is not of the RS bumper tamp, it is one I just purchased from EPNW, and Paul Pratt (http://www.coffeebumper.com) has redesigned his convex tamp piston. My purchase was from this new stock.

When I get the Roadshow kit, I would like to compare the two convex pistons side by side and see if I like one over the other.

Paul and I have been talking a bit by email off the forums, and he says that he should offer the mega curve piston again after things settle down. He also has mentioned on this forum plans of trying a tamper piston where the piston edge finishes closer to the basket edge.

(BTW Len, nice writeup on CG, I assume that was you?)
Jeff Sawdy

Worldman

#112: Post by Worldman replying to jesawdy »

Jes,

So does this mean that the radical convex piston is currently NOT available? Why?

Anyway, I would be interested in your comparison of the 2 curves...which you like better and why.

BTW, 'twas my "writeup" on CG.

Len

jesawdy

#113: Post by jesawdy »

Worldman wrote:So does this mean that the radical convex piston is currently NOT available? Why?
If you wanted to buy one right now, you'd have to find old stock, which EPNW might have if you called them. As to why, I assume it was based on feedback, but as I mentioned Paul conveyed to me that he has intentions to offer the more convex curve again in the future.
Jeff Sawdy

Worldman

#114: Post by Worldman »

Jes,

My number 1 pick of the RS tampers was/is the Reg Barber. One of my kids has supposedly ordered same for me. Woo hoo!

I DID like the Bumper, though.

Len

HB (original poster)
Admin

#115: Post by HB (original poster) »

While surfing the web I ran across Ben C's Massive HB Tamper Roadshow Review, which apparently was during the Cambridge stopover. His writeup includes specs and blunt bottom line evaluations.
Dan Kehn

coffeedirtdog

#116: Post by coffeedirtdog »

If i could plug a bit, Ben's (and the rest of our group) perfect setup was this combination of the gear which I believe you can order from the guys at Espresso Parts are offering this without the brass ring(you get a plastic ring instead :p). I have two for the cafe but we are going to put a coating on them to protect against abuse.
- barismo.com -
Jaime van Schyndel

Worldman

#117: Post by Worldman »

It was a real nice and all-inclusive review of the tampers. Well done!

Len

Worldman

#118: Post by Worldman »

In the HB/EPNW Tamper Roadshow, which piston was on the (non Radical Pro) Reg Barber tamper? It was convex...but was it the "US curve" or the "full curve"?

Len

HB (original poster)
Admin

#119: Post by HB (original poster) replying to Worldman »

It was the American Curve of ~1.5mm curvature; the others are noted here (thanks cafeIKE for taking the time to measure!).
Dan Kehn

mogogear

#120: Post by mogogear »

Curious, and not on the current subject- Is the Roadshow trek done?
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067