Hall of Shame: ''What I did when I was a newbie...'' - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Compass Coffee

#11: Post by Compass Coffee »

k7qz wrote:
So... I "ground" my beans on the chopping block using a Chef's knife, sort of like chopping onions! :oops: Hey before you all laugh, at least I used a Henkel's Wusthof knife! :lol:

No comparision to my current Mini E however-
Mike
Did Zwilling J.A. Henckels and Wusthof-Trident merge or did you mod your knife somehow? As far as I know they're still separate companies but I may be wrong. Most of my knives are Henckels Pro "S" but I store them in a Wusthof 25 slot block so that's kind of close.
Mike McGinness

cannonfodder
Team HB

#12: Post by cannonfodder »

I use the 5 star, I like the ergo handles.

My newbie (that was only a year ago), hold onto you seats, pre-ground illy and an ebay special pump machine. Had a portafilter that was lighter than a plastic tamper. It was made from pot aluminum and I used the bottom of a Tabasco bottle to tamp. It actually fit the basket perfectly.
Dave Stephens

Compass Coffee

#13: Post by Compass Coffee »

cannonfodder wrote:I use the 5 star, I like the ergo handles.
And I suppose you have a Wolf instead of a Viking :wink:
cannonfodder wrote:My newbie (that was only a year ago), hold onto you seats, pre-ground illy and an ebay special pump machine. Had a portafilter that was lighter than a plastic tamper. It was made from pot aluminum and I used the bottom of a Tabasco bottle to tamp. It actually fit the basket perfectly.
So did you cleanse your palate with Tabasco after those shots or use it to prepare your palate :?: :!:
Mike McGinness

cannonfodder
Team HB

#14: Post by cannonfodder »

Nope, GE convection sealed cook top, no gas in my area. Also have a convection oven/microwave, works quite good when I need two ovens.

I have a rather high tolerance for hot peppers, I am a chilly head. Grow my own habanera peppers and make my own hot sauce. Makes Tabasco look like mouth wash. I drank a bottle one day on a bet and was no worse for wear.
Dave Stephens

barry

#15: Post by barry »

I didn't drink coffee.

Compass Coffee

#16: Post by Compass Coffee replying to barry »

Depending on why that might be a good thing rather than shameful confession.

I didn't start drinking coffee until age 30 in 1984. Oh sure, tried what was supposedly coffee many many times over the years and it was always vile tasting in varying degrees. Summer of 1984 we were on vacation visiting a friend in San Francisco. We got there early evening and he asked if we'd like some coffee. I declined and Debi said yes. He walked over to his fridge and took a bag out of the freezer, measured out some whole beans into a grinder, sealed the bag and returned it to the freezer, waited a couple minutes and ground then started them brewing. I think it was drip. We chatted while the coffee brewed. Don't have a clue what varietal or if it was a blend or what roast etc. All I know was I started smelling something I'd never smelled anywhere at any time in the first 30 years of my life. It smelled wonderful! When the coffee finished brewing and he was pouring himself and Debi a cup he again politely asked if I'd like a cup. Based on what I had smelled brewing I of course said yes. Drank it black. Never tasted anything like it before in my life. It was GOOD. We visited long into the night with much of the talk around this stuff coffee. My palate was awakened to what coffee could and should be, my coffee education had begun.

When we got home from vacation bought a grinder & coffee pot and been chasing fresh roast whole beans ever since. Never bought pre-ground and or canned coffee in my life. We discussed that type of silly behavior that first night of my education!

So not drinking BAD coffee isn't a bad thing but a good thing! Not drinking good coffee, why that's just not possible.
Mike McGinness

IronBarista

#17: Post by IronBarista »

Compass Coffee wrote:Did Zwilling J.A. Henckels and Wusthof-Trident merge or did you mod your knife somehow? As far as I know they're still separate companies but I may be wrong.
We went to a knife show in Solingen and drove past both companies. They have separate locations but that doesn't mean they haven't merged. Me thinks they're still separate. I hope so because I'm partial to Wusthof.

AlMac

#18: Post by AlMac »

Mates place. Krups steam toy. Whirly blade grinder. Lavazza beans bought from the supermarket in 1 kg bag, kept in the freezer with bag unsealed. Some of the best coffee I had had. I thought, this is it. What great coffee you can make with this set up. It doesn't get any better than this.

Fortunately my wife bought me a real espresso machine and grinder (went out by herself one day and happened to pick up a Mokita Combi and bring it home - truly amazing luck) and pointed to the Forum button on CG one night when I was reading some articles. Thank god for all of that. Not sure that she appreciates the subsequent expense but has been understanding to date.
Alec

Kristi

#19: Post by Kristi »

Though my Silvia came with a 100C thermostat, when I PIDed it, I set it to 230F (boiler) because it seemed like everyone was doing that. Burnt beans much?!!! Now down to 206. Still experimenting!
Kris

okaychatt

#20: Post by okaychatt »

My claim to newbie shame is that when I started, I was confused about whether it was 1.5 to 2 oz in each shot glass or in total. DOH!
Kay